Do you think splicing 100' of wire onto a GTO exit wand would work?

Most of the hits I got yesterday called it Scotch 23 Rubber Splicing Tape.

Hah, Mouser sells it. Within the areas they sell things for connectors, small switches, etc. they have just about everything,

They call it rubber splicing tape. When I got mine, it came without a wrapper, which is why I ddidn't know what to call it.

They want 22.76 a roll. A dollar less each if you buy two. The URL I posted yesterday charged about 12. I don't know about relative shipping costs. This is for 3/4" which is the narrowist I've seen.

30 feet which is what the other rolls that width were.

This width is what I have and if you get wider, it may be harder to economize with it.

A search for rubber splicing at the HD site showed nothing.

Lowes came up with Image x

3M 3/4"W x 15'L Electrical Splicing Tape Item #: 158594 | Model #: 2242

For moisture sealing and insulating. Highly conformable, linerless ethylene propylene rubber (EPR) based tape

But this is number 2242 Linerless Rubber Splicing tape, with which I have no experience and it isn't the same thing because without the liner the other stuff would merge into a blob. It's only 3.94 but if it doesn't self-amalgamate, I don't know what is special about it.

Reply to
mm

Reordered:

Don't let one person, especially a person who reads the very newsgroup you're reading (because of the nature of the question, he must have thought you were reading SER), pressure you into removing crossposting. Whether you need individual shielding for each pair of wires is more an electronics question than it is a home repair question. Sure plenty of the people on AHR know more than just how to saw wood, but fewer do electronics full-time, which some of the SER people do. Fewer took relevant courses also, either in school or at their jobs.

And especially in this case, I don't know why he's suggesting shielded pairs when the original cable has only one layer of shielding for all four wires. I guess because the stuff is easy to get from the places he shops, but 4-conductor, one-shield is easy to get at other places.

SER restored.

Sure you can, and if you get 100 feet, doesn't that mean you'll be burying the connection with the other 50 feet, as planned?

BTW, don't get carried away with their alleged "today only". There are at least two places that are cheaper than they are for this every day of the year. monoprice and one other I bought from

Who says it's not required? It's not facilitated or provided for, but that's not the same as not required. Even Robert Macy -- and no one has commented on his posts yet. I would like to hear others' opinion on that -- didn't say that that a mere plug-in modular phone connector (which is what cat5 and 6 use, except with more wires) was enough. He disliked soldering but wants crimping. Plugging in is not crimping, and he recommended crimping.

Yes it does, to shield one pair from another, one wire from a wire in another pair, but even your original cable doesn't bother to do that. It only tries to shield the wires from the outside.

With Cat-5 or 6, you're paying for 4 pairs, 8 wires, instead of just 4 wires. That's a waste too.

And you're paying for them to put on ends which unless someone I know convinces me otherwise, you should really cut off and solder or crimp to the original wire.

They do use modular plugs where the phone line comes into the house, if there is a Network Interface Device, or the same thing by another name. It's a covered box, outside but above grade. I don't know how often they need maintenance.

Reply to
mm