Do showers and bathtubs have "traps"?

I am trying to locate the source of some odor in my bathroom. It is a "3/4 bath" and I suspect the odor is coming from the shower drain. I cannot see a "trap" in the plumbing draining the shower (in the parts I could actually visualize). Does plumbing draining a bathtub or shower have a trap like a sink does? If it doesn't, does it seem reasonable this could be the source of the odor (smells a little sewery)? The house is about 20 years old. Thanks!

Boatman

Reply to
Boatman

Yes, both a tub and a shower will (should) have a trap.

If unused, the trap water *could* evaporate over (long) time. Pour a bucket of water in to see if that helps.

Shower drains are prone to buildup of soap scum which attracts very smelly mold. A bleach solution poured in *might* help but you really have to get past the drain screen with a brush to dislodge the scum.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, Jim!

I think I'll try scraping the pipe with a long "snake" and see if there's any scum (or a trap).

Boatman

Reply to
Boatman

It shouldn't take a long snake. The part that would have the scum that would result in anything you can smell would be the 1st few inches below the stainer or stopper - the area above the water in the trap. As long as the drain is flowing OK, Snaking beyond the trap isn't worth the effort.

If you can get the strainer or stopper out, just pick up a cheapo kitchen brush with a handle that is small enough to get into the drain, or a bottle brush, and scrub away. Poar a cup or 2 of bleach in afterwards and let it stand a while, then rinse it all way.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the suggestions!

Boatman