Do people who hire others to work at companies care if the only way someone has earned money is by buying fixer-upper houses and repairing them?

If you lie about your experience, you will totally shoot yourself in the foot. Your lies WILL be discovered, and you WILL lose any job you get based on them.

SS retirement is based on your best 35 years of "contributions" (ie SS taxes paid). If you are 35, you still have time to build up to a decent retirement benefit.

Medicare may be more important to you than SS. To be eligible, either you or your spouse must have at least ten years of covered employment.

One other poster was confused. If you are married, your combined SS benefit is based on the better work record. It's Medicare that you can get for ten years of a spouse's coverage.

What DID you do? Did you help raise a family? That's a big thing to put down. Have you done any volunteer work? Community work? Almost anything above sitting in front of the TV is worth putting on a resume when you're trying to get started.

And if you really haven't done anything recently besides sit in front of the TV, then get out and do some volunteer / community service work. It looks great on a resume, even if it's just picking up trash in a park, and you can get it even what employment is tight. Just make sure you do it directly for an established agency so that they can verify the work you did for a potential employer. If you do a lot of work and show initiative, they might well write you a letter of recommendation, which is a huge deal.

Then take any job you can get so that you have a current work record. It's good that you are cataloging the jobs you have held, but potential employers will be a lot more interested in recent employment.

What do you LIKE to do? For most people, jobs exist doing something they like. Put some thought into it. You're right that a job you hate is no life. So think about a minimum wage (for starters) job doing something you like. Look around. I'll almost guarantee you there's some starter job in something you like.

But ... your bellyaching about how hard the seriously dumbed-down GED is, doesn't make it sound like you are ready to try. If you think differently, try to convince us. If you can convince us that you are ready to work, then maybe you can convince an employer. If you can't convince us, and if you continue thinking that passing the GED is hard work, then my prediction is that you are going to take the easy way and let your family continue enabling your current condition.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Your screwed !!Just stay in school & finish 6th. grade !NO WORK NO PAY YOU LAZY Piece OF SHIT !!!!!

JR.

Jerry - OHIO

Is it not so that we only have to work ten years in order to collect SS at the age of 62?

I have a cousin who own a syrup business, so I was thinking of lying about having worked for her, and if a potential employer asks me to see a W2 form or a check or something as proof of employment, can't I say I got paid off the books?

Yes volunteer work, but as a last resort.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

My life and lifestyle choices and character flaws are not your beeswax guy! BTW, I get paid--I get an allowance, my aunt pays my credit card bills, my maintanence, utility, medical and dental bills, she greases my paws for miscellaneous things like laundry cards, tips for the workers in my building, a locksmith who doesn't take credit cards etc etc.

27 Years ago this month, I got arrested for tresspassing inside of a parked subway on a bridge because I was too lazy to run away from the cops for more than about 50 seconds and so I slowed down to a brisk walk. My father found out about it and got fed up with all of my shennanigans and kicked me outa his house, but before he did--on SUnday March 28, 1984, I got my own apartment that rented for $700 a month, he payed my rent, my utility bills and he raised my allowance from $90 a week to $150 a week and plus he gave me $100 of what he called "emergency money" at the end of every month. Then on Sept. 1 1986, I got another apt. that rented for $925 a month, my father paid my rent and the rent increase I got the following year. I bought an apt. in August 1987 because I have a 6-figure inheritance. I get paid believe you me.

I got this lamp about 5 weeks ago. It costs $598.99 with the shipping. Last week I got this garden stool that cost $239.00 + $33.48, about two months ago I got this umbrella stand for $176.95. Everything in the photo, I got w/out lifting one single sole solitary dactyl thank you. The wall unit in Dec 1988 cost $999 before tax and shipping, I obought it with my inheritance. The painting and sculptures I got for free as a reward for me having gotten arrested 27 years ago, because my father gave them to me. The pillar my aunt bought me. She bought me the curtains, air-conditioner, blinds. She gave me one of the rugs, I think my stepmother gave me the other one. The plastic plant and the plant stand I bought with one of my credit cards years ago, my aunt was sent the bills. The steel rabit my stepmother gave me six- something weeks ago. SHe gave me two of them, but I couldn't find the other one in her basement. Do you wanta make something of it? I am the king of me, what I do or don't do with my life is my beeswax perioD!!!!!!!

Reply to
Chris Tsao

If you were flipping houses and doing the repairs, you were self-employed. Now, the question is, did you pay income tax on it?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I didn't flip one house even. This is a plan I came up with to lie to future employers in order to cover up that I have been out of work for a long time. I suspect that some or a majority of people who are bosses won't want to hire someone who flipped houses for a lab technician job or as a proofreader and so I am checking to find out if this is just my opinion alone.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Chris, did you ever think of getting a mentor to show you how to operate your own business? With the money you have, you might find someone to help you open a restaurant or some sort of business franchise such as one of the new green energy businesses. You wouldn't necessarily have to run it yourself but you might enjoy getting your hands dirty and learning how things work. Of course you don't want to dump all your money down a black hole but start small and build it from there and fold all the profits back into the business since you wouldn't need it to live on.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Not confused, merely unclear. From the SSA site:

--- begin quote If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

  • You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work; and
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

--- end quote

Reply to
HeyBub

You're missing the big picture, sadly. The OP doesn't actually want to do any work, especially something so difficult and time-consuming as running a restaurant. He just wants to game the system so he can continue to sit on his ass yet someone become eligible for SS at age

  1. And 62? Really? I don't expect to be able to ever retire, and I will not be taking SS until the lastest age possible.
Reply to
tmclone

You're missing the big picture, sadly. The OP doesn't actually want to do any work, especially something so difficult and time-consuming as running a restaurant. He just wants to game the system so he can continue to sit on his ass yet somehow become eligible for SS at age

  1. And 62? Really? I don't expect to be able to ever retire, and I will not be taking SS until the lastest age possible.
Reply to
tmclone

No thanks needed for what I am about to say after considering it for two days.

You have been a leach on the system for 17 years and now you want advice on how to continue and prosper.

Eat S*** and die would be my first opinion.

My most kind hearted advice would be to get and keep any job you can. You have an awful lot of catching up to do. Flip burgers for a year to get a basis if that is what you have to do. Move up when and where you can.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

My money is in my apartment. Only around 15 grand is left over from what I inherited. I wanted to buy into a franchise in the 1990s, I changed my mind coz the risk would be too high.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I don't have a mother anymore.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Are you familiar with this site radiotime. I use to find radio programs to stream online. The ones with icons all the way to the right of the screen are for stations that you can listen to online. The ones that don't have icons mean that you need a radio to listen to the station.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

You're forgetting that someone can earn under a certain amount and not have to pay taxes for it.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I would do whatever I have to do to keep a roof over my head.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

SS retirement age is going to at least 70 for anyone 55 or less.

This from lindsey Graham republican who stated clearly SS and medicare must be cut by 1/3rd...

Reply to
hallerb

And the IRS releases filing information to a prospective employer? I don't think so. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Also, people can check online somehow in pay web sites to find out if the police were called to your house. That's what someone in alt.true- crime told me. Her ex-husband used to harass her, once he hogtied her and once he threw her out naked into the hallway on their floor and wouldn't let her back in for ten or fifteen minutes, her neighbors would call the police on her and she would call the police on her neighbors, so this means potential employers can find out about domestic violence disputes in your own home.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

You can't get out what you haven't put in. It's that simple. File and pay as self employed... No matter how little you earn (down to $300, I believe) you have to file and pay SS on. Income tax is a different matter.

and therefore I was wondering whether or not when I start

Then, you were self employed. Just like having your own business.

Not that I know of. But competition for decent jobs is intense. Your track record won't impress them. Get a shitty job where you only need to pass a background check, or go back to being self employed. Certainly the skills need for the jobs you listed are different than repairing and flipping houses.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies