Dishwasher no longer leaves film on flatware

I had posted a question about the whitish film my Maytag dishwasher was leaving on stainless flatware and promised to post the solution when I found it. Well, I did.

Whoever suggested TSP hit the nail right on the head. As it turned out, I was unable to find any at either Lowes or Ace so i had to go to the internet. Amazon sells it; it arrived today.

The first thing I did was mix up 15% TSP (by weight) and add it to my box of Cascade, then ran a load of dishes. EUREKA! No more film.

I want to thank all of those who replied to my post and offered suggestions. I was on the verge of buying a new machine but don't need to do so now. Thanks so much.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:j8snga$4s7$1 @dont-email.me:

Packaged in a recycled cardboard box I have trisodium phosphate (Savogran). I think I got it in Home Depot?

Reply to
Han

then its not TSP

Reply to
ChairMan

That's because you missed the fine print that says in very small font "substitute". True TSP - Trisodium Phosphate is still available unless your locality has banned its sale.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Several states banned TSP use in dishwasher detergent but TSP is still = available in other products.

Reply to
Dave

Here's the link to the Home Depot product:

It's made by Savogran. Here's their link to the MSDS from their website:
Note the active ingredient is tri-sodium phosphate - 75-80%

Reply to
HeyBub

It has been in some areas. It is here (Chesapeake Bay watershed) It is still available on other areas although it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were banned in other unrelated areas for similar reasons. I'm guessing that that is why the OP had to resort to the interwebs to get it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Stormin Marlin

If TSP isn't available in your area and you have to order it, you may want to order a related chemical - Sodium Tripoly Phosphate. It's functionally the same as TSP when used as a binder (softening agent) and also used as a seafood preservative. Not classically a consumer product, but available on eBay and the web in bulk.

Reply to
Robert Neville

If you are a true red/green color-blind (protanopia) then reds and greens appear as shades of yellow.

A given shade of red with the same intensity as a selected shade of green would be visually indisinguisable.

Shades of red and green that have different intensities would be visually distinguisable - but you couldn't tell me which one is the green one (or the red one).

Look at this image:

There are 7 color bars in that image.

Do the bars that are second from the top and four from the top look similar (or even identical) to you?

Reply to
Home Guy

Nope. All distinctly different. I've been told I'm red/green color blind more than once. Not something I'm likely to forget since it was what got me into the boiler room. Navy barred me from anything with electricity and aviation. One of my low points This is the test I flunked in the Navy and elsewhere.

Only number I see is the 25. But I passed another test - Coast Guard license I think - where I was asked to pick different colored pieces of yarn from a box. No problem quickly picking red and green. But the tester noticed I went after shades that he would have passed by for more obvious ones. He asked if I ever failed a test and I said yes. He didn't care. I passed HIS test. Like I said, different definitions.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:j90j6n $mp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I really wish you'd go to bottom posting ...

Reply to
Han

You might as well get over that. I've been pushing for universal bottom posting for years and have gotten nowhere. Now I'd just be satisfied if people would trim their quotations. All it's supposed to be is a reference to the answer; not an archive of the thread.

I don't expect to win that battle either.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

When we were dealing with paper correspondence, did we take all the previous documents out of the ring binder, put the new letter on the bottom, then carefully replace all the previous ones, taking care not to rip out the carefully punched holes? No, I thought not.

Now I just tend to follow the trend in any specific thread.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I think it is just simple common courtesy to use whatever the norm might be. For this group that would be bottom posting. If everyone on a sidewalk is say walking on the right side what is proved if someone decides to annoy everyone by walking on the left?

Reply to
George

Can you imagine if we tried to read books that way, starting with the most recently written and finishing up with the stuff from the beginning?

I do prefer bottom posting. When it's done correctly, it's easier to read one or two paragraphs of quoted material, followed by however much of a reply as you care to post. Scrolling isn't an issue if it occurs while you're actively reading something.

The whole point of bottom posting is to put things into the natural flow of things: first things first; later things later. The only problem with it occurs when people are too lazy to trim earlier postings. Then you have to scroll ALL THE WAY to the bottom to find the new material.

Top posting skirts that issue by posting the new material at the top. It's suited best for those situations where the new material is less than a full screen's worth, so you don't have to scroll to find what the message is answering. Of course, most top posters then are too lazy to trim anything below so as a thread progresses, a one or two line reply tows along an extra thousand lines or more of previously posted crap. How fast would the internet be if we didn't keep reposting material nobody is going to read again?

I liken it to spam. How much faster would the internet be if we didn't have to receive 40 spam messages for every legitimate one? I recognize that most spam gets caught in filters, but how much of our capacity is wasted dealing with the unnecessary?

At this point in my life, I couldn't really care less if one top or bottom posts but I do care about the extraneous material that gets sent along with it.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

The only reason people spam is to piss certain people off.

Most of the spam nowadays is just nonsense. Very few are trying to sell you something, or scam money from you, or load a virus on your computer. You just aren't going to get enough people to fall for a scam these days to make it worth your effort and risk exposure.

Spam is the modern day equivalent of breathing on your little sister during a long road trip to get a rise out of her.

Reply to
mkirsch1

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:j91kfs$b1h$1 @dont-email.me:

Let me explain. Stormin Mormon topposts, and right under his post is his sig delimiter and sig. That makes the previous posters' text disappear when I quote Stormy, and my reder is set to distinguish by font those previous posters' texts. In my newsreader the whole thing becomes unreadable. It's not just the top posting, but the sig placement that confounds things. And this can be easily avoided if Stormy stays with what is convention here.

Actually, it's no bog deal.If there is something really, REALLY interesting I'll ferret it out!

Reply to
Han

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:46:43 -0400, Jay Hanig wrote Re Re: Trisodium Phosphate ate my waterway:

Try kill-filing top-posters. Their posts generally aren't worth reading, much less deciphering. You'll be amazed at how much more enjoyable you NG experience will be, and how you don't miss them at all.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I never saw this test before. Why are they having sex and is that part of the test?

That's the test I've seen, and from an outsider's pov, it seems a lot better.

That's the one with the clearest difference, even to me, who can read all six.

Reply to
micky