Discourage Cat Unrination??

Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do to keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens.

Reply to
Sam

close the door.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Richard J Kinch

Put a litter box where he is going in taht spare room. Keep the original one too.

Reply to
spamfree

"Sam" wrote

1) Get rid of the cat 2) Buy a pit bull 3) close the damn door
Reply to
Red Neckerson

Take him to the vet. They give him a shot and he will never pee in the house again.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You have two choices.

  1. Get used to it.
  2. Lose the cat.

Once a cat starts doing that, there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You can do nothing to keep him from "wanting" but you can keep in from "returning" by closing the door.

So why not close the door?

Reply to
Judy

"Sam" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de... | Our cat has made a second litter box of our spare bedroom, what can we do to | keep him from wanting to return to the room and urinating? The problem | originally came from bad litter box maintenance, but we have remedied that | problem. He just seems content on going in there when he places. He has | already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens. | | -- | | This message was written on 100% recycled spam. | | SAM >> samuelREMOVE snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com

Put a plastic cover over the bed? Put a *brand-new* litterbox into that room? HTH

Carola

Reply to
M.C. Mullen

close the door and keep him out of that room altogether. Then you have to completely eliminate any residual odor from the room. An enzyme cleaner may eventually get rid of the smell but if you've tossed 2 sets of bed linens I would imagine the mattress is toast.

You may eventually be able to let him back in once a long period of time has passed which will break the habit and the odor is completely eliminated. Of course this is dependent on you're continuing to keep his litter box clean so he doesn't look for alternatives. W

Reply to
Wendy

My dog hates you for that. I had the volume kinda loud. (I thought it was pretty cool)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

: He has : already destroyed 2 complete sets of bed linens. : : -- :

toss the mattress, close the door, litterbox retraining!

Reply to
readandpost rosie

Closing the door is step 1. My cat was doing this on a stair landing (she's diabetic and has some control problems) and besides cleaning with the enzymatic cleaners mentioned here, I covered the landing with a ScatMat which delivers a low-voltage (9v) shock when stepped on. It doesn't hurt but sure kept her off of the steps.

In addition, some retraining might be in order. I carried her to the litter box after each meal and now she goes immediately after eating and pees right away.

You can find the Scat Mats on eBay.

Reply to
ILYNat

OMG so did mine- I had to click following the thread. What is it?

Reply to
Atom1

Remember Doctor Von Zimmer from the movie, "Down and Out in Beverly Hills"? Dr. Von Zimmer was a pet psychiatrist (a psychiatrist just for pets). Actually, I think your best bet is to prevent the cat from going into the bedroom by keeping the door closed. Then you might try pet therapy/behavior modification of some kind. Good luck.

Reply to
Chemqueries

The cat is returning to the SCENT .. Close the door.. eliminate the scent it left. That will probably cost you a rug and anything else fabric that it hit. But if it smells to the cat like its "spot" it'll be back.. Consider a door closer..

Reply to
Mike D

Put the cat in the oven for 1 hour at 450. Season to taste...

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Cut off her penis.

Reply to
D'Olier

That's wrong, any cat will respond to costructive behaviour shaping. You just need to search the web to work it out, not too hard...

Reply to
AC

Not exactly. A cat doesn't return to to scent unless it knows there are others around, that are competitive. A cat, indoors without scenting by others (esp. female) will NOT perform this behaviour.

If it's an indoor cat, keep others away, using humane methods.

I suspect a "powerplay", though - and this is a popular cat-tactic, when they feel like they are powerless. Try some empowering of the cat without diminishing yours. There are many web-resources available for this.

Reply to
AC