Dewaxed, Waxed, Shellac Top Coat?

Reply to
nospambob

I tried posting yesterday but no luck.

My mom had her thirty year-old "Moorish" (darkest) stained cabinets repainted a light whitish color. The painter didn't sand them or degrease them, which was in his contract. But I spent the day before he came scrubbing them and the woodwork with Brillo.

I was stunned, while I was rehanging the doors, to see how easily they scratched right down to the original "Mediterranean" color. I need to know fast what I can apply to them to protect them, if anything.

Thanks.

Reply to
Pennsylvania Lady

If you mean his painted finish is pealing off then either there is still grease on them " which is always the case unless they are stripped or realy cleaned " or the paint didnt cure or he used the wrong paint. Grease imbeds into old finishes making them soft and sometimes impossible to clean. When were they repainted. I hope he didnt use latex. Why did you pay him if he didnt clean and sand. Why did you allow him to paint without cleaning and sanding. How much did you pay, what prep and paint did he use. Your cabinets may need to be stripped now, if he didnt follow proper procedures and use the right products. Oil and Latex can take weeks to cure semi hard. And dark colors with latex in a humid room can take 6 months to a year , or never getting truely hard, always they can feel tacky in humid weather. So you want to coat the painters work so they dont scratch? What does the painter say.

Reply to
m Ransley

What do you mean " dewaxed ,waxed, shellac top coat" ?

Were they previously waxed ? If so I hope you used wax remover and thinner, and degreaser.

Shellacing now is wrong , because of so many reasons, chemical interaction- incompatibility, curing time . Your paint is your finish. Sounds like you didnt hire a pro.

Reply to
m Ransley

What are they painted with?

Barry