Data/Telecom/TV Combo Wall Jacks

A simple inquiry:

I'm going to be having an electrical contractor run Cat 6 around my new house for me. It's easier and faster than me trying to do it. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good RJ-45 / Coax / RJ-12 combonation wall jacks. I hate having 3 ugly side by side wall plates, and I want to consolidate.

I want something professional not those Home Depot click it together things. They look silly.

Reply to
Elliott P

Leviton makes combination plates in Decora style, but only two devices to a plate, so you'd need two gang boxes to have three devices

Reply to
RBM

Leviton also makes a whole line of plates with up to six jack inserts, also in the decora style for anything you could want to run.

Just look around under telecom supplies.

Reply to
Abe

Start looking at Electrical Supply catalogs, not home depot. Think of the things you have seen in business installations, then spec a similar config to the contractor.

Leviton does make several styles, but they are not the only source for this sort of product.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

grabbitt

Check

Paul

Most manufacturers make keystone-type faceplates that will let you have up to 5 RJ45 and 1 coax jack for the total of six devices in a one-gang faceplate. Check Leviton in a Home Depot, obviously, but if you want a little better quality, ask your contractors to use Hubbell or Commscope. They should be able to get those jacks (almost) as cheap as Leviton from the same supply houses, especially Hubbell.

One other suggestion: do not use RJ12(11) jacks at all. CAT6 won't terminate on such jack - too few connectors - and you can easily plug an RJ11/12 plug into a RJ45 (8 pin 8 positions) jack anyways. Simply go all RJ45 for all your twisted pair.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I think that's the stuff, the OP doesn't like

Reply to
RBM

When installing structued cabling (Cat 5 or Cat 6) in your home, you definitely want to consider consolidating the plates as much as possible. The Home Depot click it together style (I believe you are speaking of the Quickport jacks by Leviton) is one manufacturers version that will allow you to mix and match for many different combinations.

While their are many manufacturers of these types of products, most manufacturers are using some sort of click together units to allow for more universal use. For example, you can install a jack that has a computer connection, a tv (coax) connection and connections for speakers or even a baby monitor camera if you like.

As for the cheesy look, all the manufacturers products look fairly similar. (They were originally designed for offices). But from my experience, if you use all white jacks, and identify the ones for computers (RJ-45) - they will tend to blend in to the wall better and not be such an eyesore.

Hope this info helps.

Reply to
Glen

Thanks everyone you've been a huge help. Here is good website for tips for future reference:

Now, I'm going to go with something like ICC which I liked. Question, if I used Cat 6 for both data and phone, is there any color standard for the jacks? Some places have blue phone lines for instance. Also, is it optimal to put a wireless access point in the basement, attic, or somewhere on the ground floor?

Reply to
Elliott P