damn that Julie Bove!

May I suggest a nice phosphorescent orange color for your house...as it seems to be a hazard zone in many ways. ===

Reply to
Roy

Hi Tony,

I have a black thumb. I have cherry tomatoes, one Box Car Willy tomato, tomatillos, zukes, parsley, eggplant, purslane, and garlic. I had 5 zuke plant last year. If memory serves me right, I got 5 fruit total last year. This year I compensated by planting 14 zukes. My best week I got

  1. This week I got three tiny ones. ("Oh Ya. You plant two zuke plants and you will have to give them away!" Yes, I have friends that would pull my leg like that.)

If you have not tasted home grown garlic, you must! On My Goodness. Garlic is proof God loves us (not beer).

I have been making up Ratatouille with the zukes and eggplant. Ratatouille from the store is horrible. But when you make it up yourself, oh boy is it good! (It is also an excuse to use a half a bulb of garlic. Note that I said bulb, not clove. You can never use too much garlic!)

I have been blanching my excess and freezing it for the winter. I am looking forward to decent produce in the off months. Do you do canning and/or blanching?

Make sure your wife's god mother brings her camera!

-T

Reply to
Todd

julie isn't wasting time, pico is, he started this thread. she's just defending herself

Reply to
ChairMan

Julie, just ignore it. If you can deal with sqwertz you can handle this

Reply to
ChairMan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

Pico is another bean counter Notice too, he started this thread stirring shit and barely has participated? Coincidence? i think not

I see her as just looking for help, haven't seen it as trying to play victim or stir shit.

We both process info differently, not to say that the finer sex doesn't use their feelings more

Reply to
ChairMan

Are you Tony or Todd? Or Both?

YW

Reply to
ChairMan

OK, why is pulling the trigger on someone else's gun when it's not loaded considered "bad manners". Does it cause unnecessary wear on the mechanisms involved or something?

And, would the same be true for rifles and shot guns?

Reply to
nestork

There is the theory that it is or might be bad for the firing pin/spring, etc. More likely to be true in days of yore rather than with modern firearms. Regardless of whether it is a new firearm and not likely to be damaged by dry firing, if it is not your gun, you should not assume it is ok by the owner to dry fire it.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Some guns can break the firing pin. I have an AMT Backup DAO that the firing pin can be broken if dry fired. Many of the rim fire revolvers can also be dammaged by dry firing.

Unless the owners manual states you can dry fire a gun,I don't do it. It may or may not cause some probleems.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You can hurt the firing pin. And, if not, the owner may think it will. A trick to teach you not to flinch when you pull the trigger is to load a few duds into the magazine. When they don't fire, it is really obvious that you flinched.

Reply to
Todd

Just Todd. I probably just wrote your name and got on auto pilot and didn't realize I repeated it

Reply to
Todd

Some guns can be damaged by dry firing. Tends to break the firing pin. Same for any rimfire or centerfire. Rifle and shotgun, also.

It's been a couple decades, and I don't remember the source. A prison guard in the tower had been dry firing the duty rifle, during a boring shift. Some time after that, a riot broke out. The guard who was then on duty needed to fire a shot, but only got a click for his trouble. Chambered another round, another click.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Let's hope he didn't wet himself in front of the boys!

Reply to
Todd

OK, I'm presuming that what you mean by that is that if there's no recoil of the gun when the trigger is pulled, then any movement of the barrel has to be due to the shooter flinching.

My understanding is that in the sport of skeet shooting, some people use special triggers called "release triggers". Unlike normal triggers, release triggers fire the gun when the trigger mechanism is released. That's supposedly to prevent the pulling of the trigger from causing flinching and subsequent movement of the shot gun barrel. I know that because I import stuff from the USA into Canada fairly frequently, and there was one guy I met at the Canada Border Services Office who was wanting to import a release trigger for competitive skeet shooting, and the border guard was having trouble finding the right B3 classification number for such a thing. I ended up talking to the guy, and he explained to me that it was a special kind of trigger that fired the gun when you released the trigger, not when you pulled it, and that was meant to minimize flinching, and hence improve his shooting accuracy. It was apparantly worth several hundred dollars.

Reply to
nestork

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Maybe smart service techs try not to come near her house? Any how, I hope she has better luck next time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup. It can be pretty historical. [braggart alert] I can see the fireball out my M1911 [/braggart alert]

Interesting. First I have heard of it. I wonder how much effect that would have on your accuracy?

On my M1911, the trigger pull is really heavy: around 9 lbs. But it has not travel, so it fires when you apply enough pressure, but you can't feel it move, so no flinching.

Reply to
Todd

Ask not for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Robert Green

Cue theme to the "Twilight Zone."

Me too. Out of all the people in AHR to accuse of uncivil behavior (while commiting it, no less with such a nasty subject line) Julie would be at the bottom of my list. Welcome to Bizzaro World.

Reply to
Robert Green

The guy I will hire to paint has done roofing repairs for me. I only wish I had known he was finally licensed or I would have hired him to do the roof. The roofing job was great. Only a couple of little things that got missed and I was on those like white on rice. My friend had her roof done about a year ago and she told me of things to look for. They cleaned up very well afterwards too. I have heard that often doesn't happen.

He also does windows so if and when we get the three in the front replaced, we will hire him as well.

There just seems to be a whole lot of bad repair type companies in this area. Perhaps in every area. I don't know. This is the first house I've ever owned. I was in military housing or renting prior.

Reply to
Julie Bove