Cost to install a new gas dryer (old one broke)

The plumber finishes the job and gives him the bill and the customer says, "I'm a surgeon and I don't make this much money."

The plumber says, "I know. I didn't make as much either, when I was a surgeon."

This is not to say the bill was reasonable. The OP should see if a new valve was installed, and then could call another plumber and ask what his price would be.

Then he could call the plumber who did the work, and say he thinks there was a mistake on the bill, blah, blah, blah. If he says, I think your rates are criminal and he wants a refund of part, the guy will just get angry. I've never tried my plan either, but you never know.

Reply to
mm

The time for that kind of thing is BEFORE the work is done.

Reply to
CJT

Of course, and others had already said that, but before is gone and after has begun.

Reply to
mm

That's the time to learn from one's mistakes.

Reply to
CJT

Well, either he got some sort of quote/estimate ahead of time, and should just stick to what he agreed to, or he didn't and should put any excess down as a stupid tax. (or educational expense). I've got $1000 windows in my house, which is how I learned to not be in such a damn hurry, to do a little more research, and to trust the little warning bell that says "this guy is a sleazeball".

(I mean, granted, they're 44" wide, 102" high, triple-glaze argon filled, with a 50 year warranty against seal failure and rocks, which may or may not turn out to be good, but still....)

Think of it as part of growing up.

Reply to
Goedjn

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Hi Mike,

I am from Silver Spring, MD. I just bought a washer dryer from Sears. Sears puts out a bid to independent contractors for the install. Well, yesterday the dryer finally came after a month of waiting. The contractor demanded an extra $120 for the gas valve install. He refused to do any further work until a check was written. This is in addition to the install cost we already paid to Sears. This is a total ripoff. I called Sears prior to buying the dryer what the additional cost of putting in a gas dryer vs electric and Sears said $90. You might get a good price on a washer and dryer from Sears, but beware of the contractors. I ended up paying twice for the install: once from Sears and then from the contractors. Contractors get paid from Sears, but apparently not enough, so they have to stick it to the customers. Beware of Quality Kitchens and Appliances.

Reply to
Melissa

Hi, Is it illegal doing it yourself?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

IDK what really happened here, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame the contractor for "sticking it" to the customer. In this case there was an electric dryer being replaced by gas. IDK how Sears or anyone could figure out how much it would cost. Did Sears or the contractor see the job before quoting the $90 extra? How about if the nearest gas connection is 50 ft from where the dryer is? Or it's on a second story, while the gas piping is in the basement, etc? It sounds to me like there is more to the story than is being told. Like the extra $90 was quoted *if* certain conditions were present and when the installer got there, they may have found out extra work was required. Could still be a ripoff, but it's sure not clear from the facts given.

Reply to
trader_4

Mellisa...Mike hasn't been around for 8 yrs, but thanks for the advice! ;^)

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

Depends on where you live. State codes vary. Some not only require a licensed gas fitter (not a plumber) but inspection after.

I did my own as well as for a few friends. We were sure to check for leaks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't say for sure without seeing it. To add a valve to an existing line could be a simple job and $35 charge would be fair. OTOH, it he had to shut all the gas off, relight pilots, purge air, etc. It could be more costly.

Code required a valve be in the line near the appliance. Sounds like the original piping may have been done wrong.

Sears price is based on a simple disconnect and reconnect. If a valve was missing or not properly installed, extra unforeseen work had to be done. Then it comes down to the price for the amount of work done.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to mikeclancy, Connie Breck wrote: $150 seems the average but you live in a high price area where im sure it costs a lot to do business in. I found this link because s customer of ours complained about our price to install a dryer. $150 seems reasonable.

Reply to
Connie Breck

On Sun 09 Sep 2018 03:14:02p, Connie Breck told us...

We have an electric dryer and I imagine the cost to delivery, install, and plug it in would be considerably less than a gas dryer. When we bought our When we bought our last front loading washer and dryer set there was actually no setup fee.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright
[snip]

It's been more than 10 years since I bought an electric dryer, but one thing I remember from then is the cord was not included. Possibly since some people have different receptacles.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On Sun 09 Sep 2018 05:20:28p, Mark Lloyd told us...

Cords are rarely if ever included with the dryer. However, we didn't nened a new cord as the one from our previous dryer was perfectly suitable. The cord is usually a separate purchase if you don't already have one.

When we moved from Ohio we fairly new laundry equipment, but the dryer cord did not match the receptacle. We bought a new cord and I installed it.

In the US most older homes are outfitted with 3 contact receptacles. New codes now require a 4 ocntact receptacle and a matching 4 wire cord.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright
Re: Cost to install a new gas dryer (old one broke) open original image

replying to mikeclancy, LifelLongPlumber wrote: This is a picture of a home in my area that a home owner hooked up a gas dryer in his own home. He didn't realized he compromised a joint in the wall. Needless to say it was a catastrophe and lives where lost. Hire a professional. Most shops pay there guys off commission. That plumber probably made $100 of that install.

LifelLongPlumber

Some drywall patch and paint you won't even notice it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Like "pros" never screw it up too. I remember a whole pet store here blew up from an incompetent crew.

Reply to
trader_4