Cost to hook up a kitchen sink and dishwasher $900.00

"Finite Guy" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@news.genuity.net...

I agree... I got a quote varying between 600$ - 2000$ to move the pipes from the old sink place to a new one for a kitchen remodel. I found these quotes too outrageous and asked some neighbors for a good plumber. I got lucky to find a retired plumber living 2 minutes from our house.He agreed to do the job on a hourly price (20$/hour) and i provide materials.

Total price : 150$ and this price include moving the hot water heater to a new place, doing some pipes solders in other places and adding some pipes for a future sink for the basement water closet. The only caveat is that i must be his helper for the grunt work due to his broken ankle and this is fair for me.

Same thing for a electrician which quoted me 4000$ to rewire the kitchen. I paid 600$ to a electrician neighbor to do rewiring of the kitchen, basement and living room. He even provided his help to fish cat5 and RG6 wires to the new places.

One note is that these peopes i hired are real professionnals. I know that the liability can be a little problematic here but they stand out on their work. The plumbed even came back one week after to correct a leakage free of charge.

From my observations on our recent kitchen remodel, hiring subs on a hourly basis can be a better deal than asking for a set price unless there is a risk of complications. One charpenter even said this to me when i asked him for a quote with a fixed price limit.

It pays to check around and ask to do the work for a hourly fee if he can.

Reply to
Xilikon

My point is that the warranty book has realistic job times. That's what the factory pays. The Customer Rate books is seriously inflated. When an experienced mechanic can do 16 hours of "work" in an 8 hour day, there's something wrong.

Yeah, right. You know why so many cars don't get fixed right the first time ? Because the dealership puts the least capable mechanic on any given job. Then when you come back a second time, it's known as a "come back" and the mechanic who did it the first time has to do it again, this time be works for free since there's no chargeable hours. That's a real incentive to fix it right the second time.

Back on flat rate... I once had a shop quote an oil pan replacement for me. 4 hours. As part of the job, you have to remove the front pipe and reinstall it. The guy had the nerve to say to me "It looks like you'll need a new front pipe. That's a 2 hour job, but since we're already removing it and reinstalling it as part of this job, I'll only charge you an hour for it". See where "flat rate" leads ?

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Reply to