Concrete sealer

We're buying a home that has a stamped concrete driveway and patio. The concrete was then painted with a brownish acid stain and later sealed with a clear coat. The house and concrete will be 4 years old this summer. I have never had this type of concrete treatment in other homes and do not know how to maintain it.

For instance, the original, clear, sealer has deteriorated a bit and now has a non-glossy finish in areas exposed to the sunshine here in NV. My instinct is to first pressure wash the entire drive and patio, let it dry, and then roll on some kind of clear sealer to get the gloss back. Is that the proper way to do it? What types of clear, glossy, sealers are recommended?

Reply to
Nonny

dadiOH

We have a stamped concrete driveway and two patios. The company that did the installation recommends that re-sealing be done at least on a bi-annual basis. The sealer is available at hardware stores and lumber yards. There are two kinds. One is glossy and the other has a matt finish.

The application is to power wash the area thoroughly and let dry and then apply the sealer with a paint roller (just like asphalt sealing). If needed, the original colors can be brought back by applying the colored powder and sealing over it. This process is best done by people that know what they are doing.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Nonny, I would go here for technical answers:

One of the top sources in the country. No relationship.

Reply to
DanG

I'd be carefull not to over do it with the power washer. The stamped on color is only in the top surface of the concrete. It can stand up to reasonable power washing, but I would only use as much forces as necessary.

For sealer, there are two kinds. Water based and solvent based. I've used both and IMO there is no comparison. The solvent based ones last longer and look much better. Problem is, you can't buy them in many states, like most of the east coast due to EPA. If your lucky you can find them in your state or order them online from a company that doesn't know they can't be sold in certain states. I recommend Kure- n-Seal. If you don't re-seal it every 2-3 years, the color will wear off.

Reply to
trader4