Computer NG?

Folks, could you recommend a computer NG where I could seek help for several probs? My guru has moved, and I am bereft....and need to avert a crash.

I searched the computer NG lists, but did not find what I need. The NGs seem highly specialized.

Any help appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

On 1/3/2011 7:37 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Dunno what your specific problems are, but there are newsgroups dedicated to certain operating systems (i.e., Windows) and some applications; Mozilla.org maintains private groups for Thunderbird and Firefox, for example. Microsoft also maintains lots of newsgroups, which actually have people in them ("champions") who give good advice.

Have you looked through the comp.* hierarchy? There should be a ton of stuff there.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You might try posting here, us OT in the subject line. Also, you might want to limit a post to one or two questions. I doubt you'd get a very positive response if you had a laundry list of questions.

Also, perhaps first, try Googling for help. There are several sites that offer assistance.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

Does it have to be a newsgroup?

There are lots of computer related forums such as:

and

I know first hand that the folks at geekstogo will have you run diagnostics and send them the logs. In response they'll post scripts for you to run before re-running the diags and reposting the logs. You go back and forth until the problems are solved.

You basically get adopted by one person who works with you until your issues are solved.

They've helped me solve issues with more than one machine in the past.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt for hardware problems Too many to list for software problems

Reply to
Metspitzer

Would have been a very productive search when Google was new. It is crap now that Google has "improved"

Reply to
Metspitzer

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4d229a10$0$2420$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

The OP didn't search enough. Lazy dummy.

Reply to
frag

On 1/3/2011 8:37 PM frag spake thus:

Well, ain't you the helpful one.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I love the paid ads in Google. Find all the "and" you need at our site. We have every sort of "and" a person could possibly want. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4d22a7f9$0$2418$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

The truth hurts? FO.

Reply to
frag

alt.comp.hardware

Reply to
RBM

Higgs Boson wrote in news:37aa1530-fc6e-48dc-970b- snipped-for-privacy@z26g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

You're not saying what problems you have. If they are windows and software related (not a broken HD), I'd suggest to clear out clearable stuff. Use ATF-Cleaner, and select what you need cleared. I use ALL, except cookies and passwords. Can easily clear GB amounts

Reply to
Han

Try asking here (nice, polite, knowledgeable). Not a NG.

Bob Villa

I usually ask my customers, when they report a hardware problem, if they have local access to a twelve-year old male.

Reply to
HeyBub

I have a Gateway and while company has been sold their ng with other GW owners often gives me good advice.

Reply to
Frank

Gateway, Emachine, Compac, HP, all the same POS.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Folks, could you recommend a computer NG where I could seek help for several probs? My guru has moved, and I am bereft....and need to avert a crash.

I searched the computer NG lists, but did not find what I need. The NGs seem highly specialized.

Any help appreciated.

HB

----------

For a newsgroup maybe 24hoursupport.helpdesk gets a lot of traffic still

for a website tomshardware.com has tons of forums.

Reply to
The Henchman

Here's a link to a forum that lists newgroups. Not sure how that works out, but at least it provides the names of a lot of newsgroups:

nb

Reply to
notbob

I was struggling to recall the name and couldn't motivate myself to go and search, but yes, that one certainly used to be very good for PC/ Windows problems (but far less so for other hardware or OS combinations). Maybe it still has healthy levels of contributors...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

These folks are very helpful, and there's a lot of information on their site for DIY'ers, too.

Hell Toupee