Cold Air

Hello We just realized that cold air has been seeping in from outside under and around the door in our livingroom. Its an older type house and the doors are fairly old. Does anyone know of a temporary fix that we could use to place around the door edges to stop the air from coming in? Or if you have another alternative, please let me know. Thanks. Freezing Lucas snipped-for-privacy@myexcel.com

Reply to
Lucas

FrostKing makes several types of door insulation strips that are easy to apply. A small rolled up rug placed at the bottom of the door for those extra cold nights will help too. A storm door helps too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Some 50 years ago my great aunt aged 80+, living alone, had sewn up a sausage shaped pillow to place against the the bottom of the front door of her apartment. Seemed effective. Terry.

Reply to
Terry

Lucas:

L > We just realized that cold air has been seeping in from outside under L > and around the door in our livingroom. Its an older type house and the L > doors are fairly old. Does anyone know of a temporary fix that we L > could use to place around the door edges to stop the air from coming L > in? Or if you have another alternative, please let me know. Thanks.

There are devices (for lack of a better term) one can buy at hardware departments and hardware stores to help block such leakages. One of the most simple would be a long flat metal and rubber 'blade' which is attached to the bottom of the door (either inside or outside). If the bottom of the door is close to the flooring will probably rub and wear out fast.

There are modifications of the above which hinge. One style hinges all along the door attachment -- to seal would need to be pressed down by a stop. Another style has a scissor-type mechanism inside. When closed the scissor mechanism drops the sealing portion down.

(The above sound much more complicated than they appear!)

As for the side and top air leaks, those can usually be reduced with foam tape or v-shaped barriers. There are various thickness, widths and densities of the foam tape. What you need is dependant on the space.

A hardware store will probably give you more of a selection than a hardware section in a department store. Then again, depends on what you need to seal.

  • Q: What does DNA stand for? A: National Dyslexic Association
Reply to
barry martin

theres a few sealers or exterior all weather caulks that you can use and apply on any gaps or holes outside that door specially along the perimeter of the doors and also windows, since its an older type of house.

if there are big gaps, use the expanding sealers first, let it dry and then caulk it, and then paint it to match the trims.

Reply to
Nostradamus

Reply to
nospambob

We use one in our house still. You can find them available in stores in various styles like seen at the following link:

JFYI

Dan O.

Reply to
Dan O.