Climate Change: Global Temperature Rising

Climate Change: Global Temperature Author: LuAnn Dahlman September 11, 2017
Temperatures measured on land and at sea for more than a century show that Earth's globally averaged surface temperature is rising. Since 1970, global surface temperature rose at an average rate of about 0.17°C (around 0.3° Fahrenheit) per decade—more than twice as fast as the 0.07°C per decade increase observed for the entire period of recorded observations (1880-2015). The average global temperature for 2016 was 0.94°C (1.69°F) above the 20th century average of 13.9°C (57.0°F), surpassing the previous record warmth of 2015 by 0.04°C (0.07°F).
According to the official 2016 global report from NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information,
[2016] marks the fifth time in the 21st century a new record high annual temperature has been set (along with 2005, 2010, 2014, and 2015) and also marks the 40th consecutive year (since 1977) that the annual temperature has been above the 20th century average. To date, all 16 years of the 21st century rank among the seventeen warmest on record (1998 is currently the eighth warmest.) The five warmest years have all occurred since 2010.
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature
On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 7:55:19 PM UTC-5, ZZyXX wrote:

?C

as the

57.0°F),

).

e-global-temperature

(Some snippage of the post above.)

The Washington Post
The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some pl aces the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway. Reports from fishermen, seal hunters, and explorers all point to a radical change i n climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zon e. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as fa r north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters sho wed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replace d by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many poin ts well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.
Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vas t shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far nort h, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. Within a few yea rs it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.
=================== I apologize, I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1 922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 95 years ago!
On 11/02/2017 08:10 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Oh shucks. I was getting ready to grab my kayak and go for a paddle down the Avenue of the Americas.
ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

°C

F),

nge-global-temperature

[...]

I wondered what happened to the Ice Age?
--
Tekkie

So what? It's a natural phenomenon. Of course there are moonbats out there who believe that that they will take control of the Earth's climate.
On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 11:32:55 PM UTC-4, Roger Blake wrote:

----

----
I'd say the moonbats are the ones who reject science and simply believe on faith that man can't impact the earth's climate. You'd think just the fact that in just the last 100 years we've been digging up massive amounts of f ossil fuels that took hundreds of millions of years to put into the earth w ood give one cause for concern. But then prior to the 70s there were a lot of people making the same arguments about pouring wastes into rivers, the o ceans, and the air too. I remember my father saying that the solution to d isposing of nuclear waste was to dump it at sea.