Church deep cleaning (off topic)

Even hard wired ones are detachable. Ionized detectors need period replacement (as do sprinkler heads).

CY: I was in the building much of yesterday. I'll admit, I'm not even sure where they are.

You should set off a smoke detector and make sure they all go off.

CY: That's likely to lead to red trucks and flashing lights.

While you're there, maybe you can install a new bishop.

CY: Back ordred, six week delay.

Buy a case of Fabreze for the seats.

CY: That's a thought. The primary (kids room) does have an odor I've noticed. Didn't notice it yesterday, but then many of the chairs were out in the hall.

Check the gap around doors/windows for air infiltration.

CY: Easier to do it the winter.

Put a brick on the drinking fountain button and let it run for a while to clean it out since it probably doesn't get much use.

CY: I bet you're right. PRobably a load of bacteria.

Put some vinegar in the coffee pot and get rid of the scale.

CY: You're thinking Lutheran. Mormons don't drink coffee or tea.

Make sure the doors on the dividers in the bathroom close and latch right.

CY: Good one, we've had trouble with that.

Replace the artificial flowers in the lady's room.

CY: Or, take em out and hose em off.

Check the OUTSIDE light bulbs.

CY: Wh ich seldom get checked, I'm sure.

Paint your building's street number on the curb in front of your building.

CY: I hadn't thought of that.

Re-paint the blue on the handicapped parking spots.

CY: Another good idea.

Call the Fire Department and give them the tour so they know where everything is in case of problem and they know the layout. Also have them check your Burke Box and make sure the key works. Locks might have changed in 10 years.

CY: I am sure that's a good idea. We don't have a Knox box, t hough.

Also, check your first aid kit and make sure it's complete. Check your defibrillator and see if there are any tests that need to be performed.

CY: We do have a first aid kit in the kitchen, which is likely out of bandaids.

Check the batteries on your emergency lighting (push the button and see if they work).

CY: A couple months ago, we did have a power out. I was in the mens room, and it gets incredible dark in there. About two weeks later, all four bathrooms had power failure lights. I'll test em, though.

If you are near a city, go buy a weather radio with an alarm on it and install it in the church so that you have a warning if bad weather is occurring. They are cheap. It is especially important if you are in Tornado area, but IIRC you are in WNY so bad winter weather like whiteout might be more of a concern.

CY: They have had to cancell church a couple times, but only in winter. Either the roads are bad, or the parking lot is a sheet of ice.

Might be good to install a couple of rechargeable flashlights in case they are needed.

CY: I suggested a couple flash lights to be kept in the clerk office, but they didn't like that idea.

Finally, check your keys and make sure that everyone who should have one has one and that they all work.

CY: Believe me, there are far, far too many keys ou tthere.

Get someone up on the roof and make sure it's okay.

CY: Flat roof, which was redone about two years ago, including sheets of styrofoam.

That'll keep you busy for a while. See you at 4:00.

CY: Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wiping things down and the like is nice, and I particularly liked the suggestion about thoroughly cleaning the nursery...probably should do something about the kitchen(s) at the same time.

More importantly - at least in my mind - is the question of environmental stewardship in the church's facility. Have an energy audit done of the facility to see where you're wasting electricity, gas, etc. on heating, cooling or lighting the building(s). Look for ways to get air blowing through rooms instead of using air conditioners. Encourage people to carpool to church.

Much more can be learned from the Interfaith Coalition on Energy, including finding energy auditors who specialize in church facilities:

Kyle

Did any one mention to clean the bats in your belfry?

:)

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

get a energy audit where they pressurize your building looking for energy leaks

might be good to upgrade change door locks so too many keys arent out.

some churches have touchpads that unlock doors and take a digital image of the person entering.

check entire building for trip hazards detoriated walkways etc

Reply to
bob haller

Wiping things down and the like is nice, and I particularly liked the suggestion about thoroughly cleaning the nursery...probably should do something about the kitchen(s) at the same time.

CY: I susepct the nursery and primary are the major vectors of germs.

More importantly - at least in my mind - is the question of environmental stewardship in the church's facility.

CY: You're in luck. Christians are given stewardship of the Earth.

Have an energy audit done of the facility to see where you're wasting electricity, gas, etc. on heating, cooling or lighting the building(s).

CY: I'm all for spending money wisely.

Look for ways to get air blowing through rooms instead of using air conditioners. Encourage people to carpool to church.

CY: This last bit makes you sound like a tree hugging liberal.

Much more can be learned from the Interfaith Coalition on Energy, including finding energy auditors who specialize in church facilities:

CY: Are they tree hugging liberals?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When they reach the age of accountability, we clean them in the battistry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

get a energy audit where they pressurize your building looking for energy leaks

CY: Inflatabuilding?

might be good to upgrade change door locks so too many keys arent out.

CY: That has to be done by request of the leadership. Might happen if there is ever a problem.

some churches have touchpads that unlock doors and take a digital image of the person entering.

CY: Sounds neat.

check entire building for trip hazards detoriated walkways etc

CY: That's a first rate idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It shouldn't if you push the test button. Besides, you're probably not hard wired into the FD.

I thought Lutherans were more into Jello molds and fruit cocktails.

We're Catholics so we're not big into coffee either. It's more whiskey and rye. Heck, we have to serve wine half way through Mass or the Irish won't come.

BTW, I found a nearly suitable substitute for Postum. Plus I bought some grains for roasting to see if I can make a good home brew.

Down south, they sometimes do that as fundraisers. I Boy Scout troop or soccer team will invade a neighborhood and do it for a few bucks. It's good when you're order pizza or need an ambulance.

No Burke Box? Maybe you should look into one if you FD uses them on other buildings. They aren't very expensive and can save you a lot of repairs.

Reply to
PatM

My wife works for a pretty big organization -- I don't know but I would guess there are a couple of thousand employees and every one has a computer. The computers are networked to include their satellite offices. They boot to the network (I think). When they leave, the restart them and let them partially boot and get to the screen that asks for a continue. So every computer is on ALL the time so that IT can update software, etc. at night via the network. Too me, that seems like a huge waste of electricity. If they need to update things, can't they have it every "wednesday" or something like that? Wow.

Reply to
PatM

Give the sound system the once-over to make sure it's balanced, etc.

CY: Odd you should mention that. The sound in the gym is way loud. I could not find any adjuster for it.

Check for an odd volume knob 5.5 to 6 feet up on the wall opposite the stage. That's where ours is.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wash all vestments and linens, if applicable.

CY: We do use linen for the sacrament table. Yes, those should be washed and dried. -- and spray starched and ironed. Even if it's to be folded. They just look more crisp.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Get an orange oil product and do the wooden doors to the chapel and the classroom doors. I also wipe down the wooden rail above the sisal with the same stuff. You have a huge 'to do' list. Good luck getting the Bro's and Sis's to do it all, though.

Reply to
C & E

My synagogue has Bat Mitzvahs.

Does that count?

Reply to
HeyBub

My employers (a federal agency) do the same thing. I've pointed out to them repeatedly that they are in violation of a presidential executive order that says Thou Shalt Turn Computers Off When Not In Use. They don't care, and basically have told me to shut up and sit down about it. What can ya do? I turn mine off, and once in a while it takes a few minutes extra to boot up while it plays catchup on patches, or slows down when they are scanning it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Give the sound system the once-over to make sure it's balanced, etc.

CY: Odd you should mention that. The sound in the gym is way loud. I could not find any adjuster for it.

Check for an odd volume knob 5.5 to 6 feet up on the wall opposite the stage. That's where ours is.

CY: We do have volume knobs in the foyers, and some other rooms. Might be where you say. Thanks for the field report.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wash all vestments and linens, if applicable.

CY: We do use linen for the sacrament table.

Yes, those should be washed and dried. -- and spray starched and ironed. Even if it's to be folded. They just look more crisp.

CY: I'll have to see if we can find anyone who can do that. Not me, I'm sure.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Get an orange oil product and do the wooden doors to the chapel and the classroom doors. I also wipe down the wooden rail above the sisal with the same stuff. You have a huge 'to do' list. Good luck getting the Bro's and Sis's to do it all, though.

CY: Our typical church cleaning project lasts about two hours. I need to make some kind of a game, an adventure, out of it. I'm still working on that concept. Red team or blue team or something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

my are you going to be busy, what have 3 shifts 24/7 for a week or more to do all this?

when your done please come do my house it needs cleaned bad

Reply to
bob haller

I know some of them Mormons. A close group of people and they will get the job dome as best as I tell.

Back east, try the Amish. Out west thing are different.

Reply to
Oren

I don't think the Amish worry about cleaning their churches ... oh, wait, I don't think the Amish have churches.

Are there any Amish members in this NG who can confirm this??

Reply to
PatM

and

"Stormin Mormon" quipped:

and

Aw, jeez, now you got me thinking I have to change the photo on the pastor's page at our website, or at least put one on a page about stewardship, where I'm hugging a tree... :-D

On a serious note, maybe I am a tree-hugging liberal these days. I just now the more theologically conservative I get, the more socially liberal it makes me - i.e., working for environmental stewardship, social justice, and equality for all people.

Which reminds me, pertinent to this group: reduce, reuse, recycle - ReStore!

Kyle

Saturday at 10 AM all right with you?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon