Choosing a Replacement Toilet

My wife and I are having tile installed and while we're at it, decided to replace the toilet and vanity. It seems to me that a toilet that has a larger than average siphon would be less likely to get blocked by waste. Is this correct? What is this called? What other features are important?

Reply to
bobneworleans

Ignore Usenet hearsay, marketing double talk and get the facts.Pick up a copy of the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets here:

Robert Neville

if you have a existing toilet that works well your far better off keeping it.

or at least drain and clean it and put in shed for safe keeping.

newer low flow toilets have lots of possible downsides from totos excess noise, to easy plugging, to well name everything that could go wrong with a toilet

Reply to
bob haller

American Standard has been touting the no-clog feature of their Cadet with the large opening. Kohler makes some very good models. We have some at work and they have never clogged.

Get an oval and check the height. In recent years, they have been getting a bit higher so it is easier to stand up after using them.

.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Second that. The taller (17") toilets are MUCH easier to use than the standard 14" ones. As my current squeeze observes: "I never imagined that an extra three inches could make such a difference!"

Reply to
HeyBub

Agreed Unless you are vertically challenge, get the tallest highest one you can. It just standing up so much easier with creaky knees.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

lol

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Hello, this is the wife of bobneworleans. Thanks for all the good advice, y'all! Can someone recommend a good toilet model that has high efficiency for flushing solid waste, as well as a quiet automatic-dropping lid to please the wife? (example: Kohler quiet-close) thanks, mrs.bobneworleans

Reply to
Fran

A quick check of that site seems to show that the reports haven't been updated since October 2009.

If that's true, the data may be a bit stale.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

For sure. Get the tallest one you can find. No one gets any younger and if you stay in your house, you _will_ start wishing for a taller one.

As for ease of getting off - put a handgrab just within reach of the pot. I had to 'handicap access' my house for the wife. The day I put that hand grab up and used it, I realized I should have done it 30 years ago.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

We have had a Toto for some 6 or 8 years now. Have _never_ had a plug with it and the noise is not noticeably different from the old one.

Main drawback I see to the low-flow is the small 'target pool', not everythign hits it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Toto - we have the Drake - spendy but worth every dime.

BTW when installing one, use a 'waxless' toilet seal. Beats the old wax ring everyway you can look at it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I wish I had known about homeclick when we bought. Every source for Toto I could find on the net would only sell to dealers.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The flushing efficiency results are in the MAP document that was posted earlier in this thread:

The lid closer is something that could be retrofitted to any toilet.

Robert Neville

I guess it depends on what the OP means by "automatic-dropping".

Does she mean "automatic" as it relates to a powered device like you suggested or does she mean a simpler soft-close device such as what I have (and love):

DerbyDad03

installed an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet a few years ago and am very satisfied.

******

So did I! I did two...our county was giving rebates to people who installed low flow toilets. I've had both for almost two years and never a problem. I got a lot of warnings before I did it -- never had a problem. And yes, I have the American Standard Cadet 3 toilets.

Reply to
Dottie

She was talking about what happens to "HeyBub's Angry Inch" after she blows on it. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

This is the original poster. Thanks to everyone who replied. Yesterday, my wife and I purchased an American Standard, Champion 4 model from Home Depot. Several of you recommended the elongated style and higher height; this model has both. And my wife was delighted to see that this toilet comes standard with a slow-closing seat (and probably lid).

Also, special thanks to Robert Neville who (twice) recommended I look at the MAP Report, which quantifies toilets' effectiveness in removing solid waste. All the toilets we were considering remove 800 - 1000g simulated waste in a single flush. This is more than twice the largest load expected. Apparently, incomplete waste removal is no longer an issue with modern toilets: "The fixtures available in the marketplace today are significantly better performers than those MaP tested as recently as 2003 and far superior to many of those produced in the early 1990s."

I'm glad I posted my question in a place where I was able to get valuable and useful information. Bob Simon

Reply to
bobneworleans

Keep your old toilet just in case.......

Reply to
bob haller