Chimney Cap Replacement - Input & comments

Well I started on that chimney cap today. First timer on this and have no reference but it's pretty mucked up if you ask me. Lot of it just came out in chunks when I chipped away at it. It looked to me like the top surface was a patch job for a bad original job, What was underneath the surface was crumbling and very sandy in areas

Guessing it was hand mixed?...wrong.

Then after all was removed, they way that top layer of bricks is there looks pretty shitty to me. Oh well, just fill with mortar and slope from the flue to the edge of the chimney best I can. Gotta be better than it was.

Looking for input and comments.

Thanks, Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy

Al, that looked like a real treat to dig out. That mix looked very heavy on sand. Was you brick face wet to the touch from absorbing water?

When you pour your mix to fill the top make sure you work the surface of the mix nice and lightly to get a nice creamy non textured surface to the top. You want a surface smooth like a garage floor. It is hard to tell from the picture but are you certain you will have enough pitch from the top of the liner to the top of that ridge of bricks (chimney perimeter to get an adequate pitch) If you dont think it is enough you may want to try an extend-a flue. Two things to be sure of in this is the top is not going to absorb water so it has pitch and smooth surface.

Reply to
German Jerry

"German Jerry" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the input.

Wasn't too bad to dig out but not an absolute picnic. Just made sure I was chipping inward at the chimney edges as to no pop bricks from the top row and walked on eggshells never tapping towards the flue when near it.

Sent pic copies to an experienced bud. Being in the mid south the temps are relatively mild. This house was built 30 yrs ago. Said in warmer climates it was common to use a layer of sand as a base/filler then mortar on top. In the north this is not done because the moisture content of the sand, freezing and expansion.

As far as the pitch I'll make due with that is there. Enough? Dunno but there will be pitch away. This is a house I just remodeled and have a contract on it. The home inspector made a comment (planned this as an issue) that the "cracks should be sealed". There were actually loose pieces and all he said was to patch it! I don't intentionally do shitty work...within reason. So, the buyer is getting way more than requested and a half way decent job I think.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting it smooth as possible with hand tools? Can't exactly get one of those big circular things they use on floors up there! :-)

Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy