Checking prices for American Standard Central Air

Hi All,

I would like to know if any of you can provide me with some prices of a split system (AC + gas furnace), this includes anything else that needs to be installed besides the furnace and compressor such as the coil. I am insterested in American Standard prices (I can't find them anywhere). For the AC unit, it will be a 3.5 ton 14 SEER + proper coil for that unit. For the furnace it will be a 80,000 BTU 2 stage furnace,

82% efficient. I don't know the exact models, if there are different American Standard models for those specs I would like the different prices. The other prices that I would be interested is the same spec above(3.5 ton 14SEER on the AC) but with variable speed, American Standard as well.

I would highly appreciate any information you guys can provide. Please, I am just interested in prices. I already went thru a thread finding the right contractor, sizing, importance of proper installation etc etc.

Carlos

Reply to
Carlos

Pricing to consumers is irrelevant. Pricing for the completed job is the only relevant to number to consumers. ]

If you have your certifications and your EPA license then call your local wholesaler on Monday. Even then if you spend a million dollars a month you will get a better price than if you only buy a couple of units a month.

Get over it and go with the best qualified installer. Sure hope you chose a contractor that did the manual calculations.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks to Turtle for his input, the only one that came up with some numbers. All I am asking for is for some prices, is that so hard to get in this forums without people questioning why I am asking for it??...let me decide what is relevant to me (as a consumer). I already found a very reputable contractor that would do the job anyways, I already got a quote for the whole job and I know he will do a good job. All I am getting is sarcasm here.

Carlos

Reply to
Carlos

This is Turtle.

Carlos , i hate to say this but your going to walk off into a pit of snakes and start telling the snakes if they can bite you or not. With this said i will talk below.

i can tell you the price of any brand equipment and if i would give you each cost of your 14 seer units you want and have it in great detail. Then you start getting bids to do the job from contractors in the area and start telling them what they pay for the equipment. Then this first cuts out all the Good respectiable contractor to do your job. The hacks and crook will only be left to talk to you about putting in the system. This may seem strange for you to catch on to but I've seen it time and time again and a customer taken to the cleaners. The quickest way to run a good professional HVAC contractor off is start discussing what he pays for the equipment. The HVAC contractor knowes that the p\\rice of the equipmenmt plays a very little part in a good running hvac system. Here is a example below for you to see.

Good Contractor: Equipment cost $2,800.00 + $1,500.00 Ductwork and tubing sets. if you do it right it will be at least $1,000.00 of ductwork and duct supplies.

Cheap Bidder Contractor : Equipment $2,200.00 because the model numbers will not match up for a 14 seer rating + $600.00 Ductwork and tubing sets. If he can use all 6" Duct work and use Y's for all runs, too small or second hand tubing sets, Don't Vacuum the system, Buy the equipment from a bankruptsey sales at a warehouse, use a bunch of second hand small stuff to do the job with, and last when you pay him for the job --- he is gone and never will come back for warranty the work for a year like he should have.

If a fellow told me he could probley do a job for me for $100.00 and might be alright. then another fellow told me that he would do that same job for $1,000.00 and garrenty the job in writting and have a bonding company to stand good for the work. i would pay the $1,000.00 to make sure it was done right.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

How about 8 5340 Btu/h $69 Daewoo window ACs with a 20.4 effective EER with extremely high system reliability and no installer attitudes? :-)

Perhaps you need more airsealing and a sunspace with no fuel bill.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Joseph, as I mentioned on my original message

"I would highly appreciate any information you guys can provide. Please, I am just interested in prices. I already went thru a thread finding the right contractor, sizing, importance of proper installation etc etc."

I do know that picking the right contractor is very very important. I would just like to know what those equipment run for in the Southern California are.

Reply to
Carlos

The sarcasm is intended to make you realize that you may be in the middle of nowhere and we give you pricing from where we live, in the middle of the highest cost of living area in the country.

Different areas have different pricing. My pricing on American Standard equipment will probably not be the same as a contractor 2500 miles away.

Turtle gave you some numbers that may not be right for your area. $4300.00 is a low-ball price in this area. Something like what you're talking about would buy the equipment, but not much else, including labor....

Reply to
HeatMan

Raw material costs could vary 20% from contractor to contractor. It really depends on who is buying the equipment and how much their discount schedule is. Most OEM's discount schedules range from 5 to 50% depending on the equipment and incentives at the time of purchase. Asking blind questions about pricing is misleading. Southern CA covers a lot of territory. I would expect to pay more in San Diego that Yuma. Both are in Southern California. San Diego is higher overhead compared to Yuma. I was not trying to be sarcastic with you. I was pointing out that your question was vague.

Just what are you going to do when you find the pricing in your area? Beat up your contractor cause you think he is making to much? Worse your going to beat yourself up cause you think he is making to much money. There are things that are best left unknown.

Reply to
SQLit

In short, find the contractor not the equipment. A properly installed OK unit will be far better and cheaper in the long run than the best unit ever made installed by someone who does not do it right.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Carlos,

I live in South Carolina. To sell you the equipment, make the necessary duct modifications, flue and gas line modifications, wiring, new pad, new thermostat, load calculation for proper sizing, air flow testing and balancing and all the other stuff I do for a complete job, assuming it would fit (without seeing your house), I would guess $8,000 to $10,000. That price would probably cover my ass and yours. If you have extreme duct problems, it could be more. If it was an easy jub, it could be less. The overall price range could cover $4,500.00 to $12,000.00. I never quote without seeing the job, measuring lots of stuff including checking the existing air flow with accurate instruments and getting a load calculation done by me or the local utility. There is lots of stuff involved, and prices vary widly from job to job. As Nick says, if you want it cheap, get window units. If you want central system, prices can be much more. Nick talks about 20 EER. You won't find a window unit that efficient. The savings is in only cooling part of the house instead of the whole thing. But if you live in a high humidity area, if you don't get the humidity out of the whole structure, you could grow mold on the walls. If you lived in Philadelphia like Nick, that would not be a problem. In southern CA, well it depends on your local weather conditions.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I don't think anyone is trying to be sarcastic. However we see quite a few people who just don't get it. They don't see the importance of the tech person when it comes to the job. When someone writes it is not easy to tell if they understand that part or not. The responses you saw were honest efforts to get the point across. Maybe in your case it was not needed, but we could not know that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't know about everyone, but I missed the part about your already reading the threads on picking a contractor. Sorry.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Nick, You think of that as a winter problem, vecause where you live, it can be. Not everyonew lives where you do or has the same climate conditions. I lived in western Pennsylvania for 30 years. When I moved to South Carolina, I had to relearn my trade as the climate and problems are completely different. In South Carolina, mold is primarily a summer problem. While I went through a 1 year non-compete, I had to work 70 miles from home in Florence South Carolina. Things were very different. Think Globally. What you or I are used to may not match his problems/conditions. Therefore our advice may not do him any good.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Roughly doubling the 10 EER, with automatic occupancy controls...

I think of that as a wintertime problem, if only part of a house is heated and warm moist air leaks into a cold room. If some humid outdoor air leaks into a room with no active AC in summertime, with some air leakage to other rooms, that seems OK, altho whole-house airsealing is always a good idea.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Think physics :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thanks Stretch for some of the figures.

15 Messages after and no straight answer to my question:

American Standard Split system: AC unit, 3.5 ton 14 SEER + proper coil Furnace 80,000 BTU 2 stage, 82% efficient."

I am also interested in the Furnace 80,000 BTU Variable speed furnace, 82% efficient."

Location: (Whittier, CA)

Carlos

Reply to
Carlos

"Carlos" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Carlos,

It doesn't matter what anyone tells you here unless they live in your neighbohood. I could give you a price of $4200, but then someone else might give you $6,000 and another may give you even higher. It all depends on the area you live in. True, there are companies out there that look at the house you live in and the car you drive and may jack up the price, but most are priced to stay in business. O.K., let's say you find the equipment on line (good luck!) for $3200. "My GOD! They are charging a thousand dollars for labor!!!" You have to realized there is lot involved in running a business (salaries, insurance, gas, etc. I could list a lot more). People start yelling "Rip Off!" but don't realize that it's like that whereever you go. Food, clothing, you name it. Don't even get me started with cars!!! Everyone doing this "Employee Price" gimmick. Yeah, right. I have relatives that work for GM. NOBODY is getting cars/trucks at what they are getting them for. It's just a sales gimmick. Just like ones that sell them "1% above invoice!!!". Gimme a break. If every piece of equipment or goods were given to the general public at cost, then that would put the "middle man" out of business. But then where would that leave you? Who is going to install it (properly, mind you)? And when someone DOES install it improperly and it dies within a year or two, who is going to fix it? I understand why people would like to know what equipment costs, but truthfully (and no offense) it's none of your damn business. Try calling one of the major car manufacturers and ask them the cost on a certain vehicle. Call a restaurant and ask them the cost of that dinner you paid 30 bucks for last night.

and it's not like you see these HVAC guys running around in Hummers and Escalades and living in mansions....

The best thing to do is ask your friends and neighbor who they would use and then get at LEAST 3 companies to give you QUOTES (not estimates) and go from there.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

The "None of your business attitude" seems to run in the blood of all the HVAC people here. Last time I went to my mechanic I got a breakdown of labor plus parts, there is nothing wrong with paying more for the work done by a more professional and reputable company, you get what you paid for. I guess, I am not going to get an answer to a very simple question in this forum since only HVAC people seem to visit my thread.

Reply to
Carlos

Perhaps, but ALL our tickets break down the prices, but what we pay for the parts, honestly isnt any of your business. A tech across town might pay up to 3X the price we pay, and vice versa. You dont know who is getting what for what, since each and every parts house is on a different schedule. Hell, I have paid $10 for a part at one store, only to find it at another for $30.

The answer to your question is actually simple.

There is about 4 different wholesale prices for every single unit out there. There are hundreds of different labor rates.

Reply to
Carolina Breeze HVAC

"Carlos" wrote

I guarantee that the price of the "parts" are not the price he pays for them.

But, I see your point. We DO break it down on service calls (parts, labor), but on install jobs, one, bottom line price is given.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab