cheapest natural gas boiler 60,000 BTU or more

Greetings,

I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.

Thank you for your time, William

Reply to
William.Deans

I know where you can get a 2 million btu boiler for about $20k. Just removed it from a building in Phoenix. Very serviceable.

Fits your requirement of at least 60K. Cheap by any standard.

Reply to
SQLit

Just ask someone after work at the supply house if he will get you one cheap and slip him $100.

Reply to
Bubba

A lot of people use water heaters for that purpose. those are cheap. you will have to check the btu/hr heat input rating and select accordingly, for 60,000 btu/hr you probably need a 30 gal high recovery rate water heater... cost probably under 400 dollars.. could be a little more.

Then just hook it up to your hot water circulating pump...dont forget to fit an expansion tank.. the bladder diaphram type will be best for your application, a small one, about 5 gal total capacity... no valves between the expansion tank and the hot water outlet of the heater. you can locate the bladder type anwhere you want...be sure to read the directions.

That should last you about 10 years, maybe 20 years in house heating service conditions.... its a closed loop, so there will not be any scale build up issues.

You might consider a 40,000 btu model for a house that small, then suppliment with a 50 dollar electric heater in your bedroom for cold nights on occasion. that would be about

200 dollars cheaper.

Is it legal? check your local city building inspectors dept. they may require you to fit an approved **low water safety shut off*** , but maybe not... the smaller you go the less is required for ignition and low water protection...an advantage if you go to the 20 gallon heater. Be sure to fit the standard hot water heater pressure relief valve regardless ..thats critical.

The city may want a back flow preventer on the cold water make up line. you may or may want to ask, since its somewhat of a self sterilizing loop if you set the thermostat over 200F... and you will not be treating it with chemicals that is not entirely critical issue (as it is with larger boilers that chemically treated water in loop that you want to keep out of the city mains in event of loss of city water pressure etc). There are bacteria that live in hot water though and you wouldnt want that back flushing into your city water line, so minimally I would install a swing check valve... and discuss it with the city.

If someone sets the thermostat below 120F you can get dangerous bacteria growing in the heater and water distribution lines...and that could happen later, after you are gone etc.

Buy it for the correct fuel, natural gas or propane. they have different jet sizes.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

i don't know. don't forget freight on that weight, and trucking to your dock or door plus hiring a mover to place it from curb to basement. the last 120000 dunkirk boiler new in 1990 cost under $3000 including all parts and labor installed into a working system with 4 zone valves by a hvac contractor. boiler prices are generally just quoted to hvac contractors because the distributors don't want the liability of selling to a beginner who may screw up its installation and expect a warranty to cover their existing untested system problems. qualified hvac installers don't like being put into the position of using customer furnished parts due to safety concerns. most refuse this work. the poor guy who OOPS turns off the resupply fresh water valve during heating season to "repair" the pressure relief valve is dripping on the floor unknowingly awaits impending damage to his boiler.

"Q: Can I buy a boiler direct from the factory? A: No -as a manufacturer of equipment we sell our product only thru wholesale distribution who in turn will supply the dealer trade in your area with our products along with all the other items your dealer will need for your system. We support the professional tradesmen to know that your new piece of heating equipment is installed and operating correctly for maximum efficiency and safety concerns. With today's installation codes, in many area's a piece of equipment can only be installed by a licensed plumber or heating technician, which is good for the industry and safety of all concerned."

buffalobill

Greetings,

Thank you very much for the offer but I was looking for cheap in terms of absolute dollars, not best value. I have a couple used 300K-600K forced air units sitting around myself. If I ever do need a large boiler in the future (and it is possible) I will keep you in mind.

William

Reply to
William.Deans

Greetings,

That easy eh? How about I pay you $200.00 and you can keep $100.00 for yourself?

Let me know, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Greetings,

The boiler rating is 60K for such a small house because the house is a row home built in the 1800's and is not (well) insulated. The houses on either side have been torn down so there is a lot of surface area to volume.

I wish I could use a water heater to heat the home but I am almost certain the town will not allow it because I have never seen such a setup. However, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will on monday if I don't have a new boiler in by then.

Thanks for your very informative reply, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Thank you. I guess Dunkirk probably won't be receiving my business. I am sure someone wants my money.

Reply to
William.Deans

Looks like these guys will take it

$1500 for the cheapest 62k Btu.

I have no idea how the price compares with a local supplier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bubba wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Have to take delivery after sunset huh?

Reply to
Al Bundy

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out. Income + insulation.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Im sure thats about right...however the max design condition is only approached 2% of its run time... that means that 98% of the time a correctly sized boiler is over sized... and 2% of the time its right sized, and maybe 1% of the time its a little undersized.

by going to 40,000 btu it will be undersized maybe 4% of the time... thats livable if you have an electric heater in the bedroom for those days. If low cost is a concern thats an issue..also with the city code requirements for low water protection etc.

when talking to the city on this issue be sure you dont become aflicted with an idiot... be prepaired to question any replys and ask for a reference to the Uniform Mechanical Code if they decline the use of a hot water heater for your purpose.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

good idea bundy... if the double wides aren't tall enough something could be done with a hay storage and hog operation.

Reply to
Phil Scott

"Phil Scott" wrote in news:dtopr8$hke$1 @news.tdl.com:

Old bathtubs and sinks along walk painted with aluminum trailer roof paint in place of low voltage lighting.

Reply to
Al Bundy

wrote

Damn! And you have so much money to spread around, too!

You cheap f*ck......

Reply to
Red Neckerson

"Al Bundy" wrote

Sounds like a mansion to me!!!!

(and I live WELL below that Manson/Nixon line.....)

Reply to
Red Neckerson

thats smart. you get the reflectivity from the aluminum.. you could save a lot on lighting that way. it also provides a place for the dogs to stay in bad weather.

With good jobs going offshore the income tax base is heading south... the states are trying to make it up with property tax. the plan I think was to get everyone into 'their own home'... with the kiddies etc... then run property taxes out the roof.

In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor' that they use as a multiplier depending on your view. One guy was paying 500 dollars a year on his house, that went to 3500 dollars with a 'view factor' of 7.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

That is getting to be a popular way of gouging the taxpayers. They have been doing that in CT now also. One wealthy individual just sold the waterfront home that has been in the family for 150 years because of the tax increases. I'm not sure of all the classifications, but there is beach view, water view, beachfront, lakefront, etc.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phil Scott" wrote in news:dtq5d0$r3n$1 @news.tdl.com:

Got bit by that one big time a few years back!

So that's what I did!

Lived in VT before bailing south. They came up with Act 60. Towns with more bucks would be taxed extra and the $ would go to schools in other towns. Actually called them "gold towns". If you are/were in NH, you (and every other skier in the US) know Stowe. They got nailed big time by Act

  1. There were many towns that got the shaft.
Reply to
Al Bundy