cat5e and phone cable

I may be wrong but, I don't think that's right. That's why ethernet uses twisted pairs of wires -- so it can reject common mode interference. A voltage caused by a stray magnetic field would be equally induced on both conductors of the pair and would be rejected.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Not in my house, it isn't.

Reply to
Dan C

Also RJ45 and RJ12 plugs are physically compatible. That is you can plug an RJ12 (phone) into an RJ45(Ethernet). And if you use the proper wiring convention (forget if its 568A or 568B) the center wires will be open and you can have both phone and ethernet in the same jack. Not that you would want too.

At my old home I had 1 pair running up to my computer room that brought my ISDN line, 1 pair returning to the basement which was one of the house phone line that ran from my ISDN Adapter, and connected to the rest of the house phone lines, and 2 pair for ethernet that ran back to basement for my router in the basement. It was perfect.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

The whole point of 568A ( or B ) is to have 4 and 5 available for the telephone.

1, 2, 3 and 6 are the data lines.

-- Herb Stein snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Just to jump into the middle here...

Gigabit ethernet DOES use ALL eight wires...

Even if you only do 100mb networking, having phone on the unused pair will still introduce noise and degrade your network.

Pull a separate line for telephone! Do NOT mix your networking with any other signals on the same bundle.

Reply to
Noozer

A phone line on 1 pair will introduce a lot less noise than a network line on 2 pair. Its negligible. I would mix. Hes not running an ISP anyway... Of course I am also one of those people that likes to have an extra pair, so if you can you might as well run 2. 2xcat 5 is preferred over 1xcat 5 1x phone line.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert