I have a couple of ~15 yr old fluoresent shop lights which have quit
functioning. They are the "instant start" type, yet don't use a canned
starter. I took them apart and traced out the wiring and found that they
just use a couple of chokes and a couple of R/C's to light up two F40CW's.
If I correctly traced the wiring, it looks like this diagram I scratched on
the back of a piece of junk mail:
The chokes look okay, the 150K resistors are fine, but the cheap paper/foil
capacitors have been hot (scorched sides!), swollen, and one had a crack
where the smoke apparently got out. My problem is there are no markings on
the caps. Anyone venture a guess at what the value would be? Is the value
I know, replacing the fixture would be inexpensive and intelligent, but I'm
retired, on a very tight income, don't have a ready ride to the dept store,
and hate to add to the landfill stuff that could be fixed. Besides, I'm a
tinkerer at heart.
Thanks for any help,