Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

People from different states/countries each talking about a zillion different sets of rules?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

More or less true - but "some" galvanized fittings appear to have zinc in the female threaded portion. Not with hot dip galvanizing, for sure - but in "bright zinc" "galvanizing".

This does not change the fact that the zinc is NOT a corrosion risk.

Reply to
clare

Use Google. Erase.......

it is similar to Google.Takeback (what you use when you want retrieve an email or posting that you wish you hadn't sent.)

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

DD_BobK wrote: ...

Can't help; once a posting hits usenet, it's gone. Virtually no servers honor cancel messages.

--

Reply to
dpb

Would that it were so. That only works with Google posting, right? I'm talking about all of the forums and sources out there where this topic comes up repeatedly and the same information gets batted about. Since we've 'solved' it, we should save other people from having to wade through the extraneous and misleading information. Maybe post a Wikipedia article and just point back to that whenever it comes up here? Post the Wiki link on those other forums?

RicodJour

Why in the world would the Chinese use too much zinc in the copper alloy? That would be unethical and greedy. Could never happen. ;)

RicodJour

On 1/23/2011 7:27 AM RicodJour spake thus:

[massive snipola]

Like they say, good luck with that!

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 1/23/2011 5:39 AM Art Todesco spake thus:

What you heard was essentially correct. When you tighten a pipe fitting with any kind of metal pipe--black iron, galvanized, brass, bronze, etc., both threads deform--in other words, get squished--enough to remove almost all gaps between them. That's how pipes get sealed. (What few microscopic gaps may be left are filled by Teflon tape or pipe thread compound.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

So that people who want cheap stuff will have things to buy?

Reply to
George

replying to David Nebenzahl, villiewe wrote: Simple: I assumed the black iron was so you could tell which lines were gas while galvanized was water. When I had this house inspected 41 years ago before buying, he suggested I ask the owner was was the purpose of the galvanized iron going to the attic! I paid him anyway!

Reply to
villiewe