California earthquake insurance?

But you're demanding that others pay for your health expenses. That's exactly why the young don't bother with insurance. They don't want to pay for you.

Reply to
krw

As I said, I'll mark you down in the "approve of big brother" column (no surprise, really).

But you're against "actuarially-based rates" otherwise. Others must be forced to pay for your illness. Nice.

Reply to
krw

And that's changing fast.

The F100 corp I slave for is charging the smokers an extra $750/yr for medical insurance and the rumor is they're going after the drinkers next. Should be amusing when they roll that one out. The drunks will be crying like the smokers were 15 years ago. LOL!

Reply to
wage slave

On 5/28/2012 1:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

You got the capitalization backing? Not a viable option.

If the pool were even state-wide it would be reasonably homogenous; the problem is they're not--they're split into relatively tiny pools the predominant one of which is those of various employers by definition essentially a healthy pool.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yes, get sick you have no benefits. OTOH, the ER cannot refuse you so the rest of us pay. Send them away!

Not at all. Just as under 25 drivers and drivers with many points pay more, smokers and others that choose (note: I said "choose") to be high risk should pay more. It is a simple actuarial setup.

Have diabetes? You did not choose to be, so yes, part of my premium goes to your treatment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 5/28/2012 2:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Well, that's the definition of an insurance pool; shared risk.

Until they happen to have a problem then we're subsidizing that choice. What goes around comes around...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 5/28/2012 2:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I don't see how it follows--it's the other way 'round to pony up imo.

How do you get that? That's what I am for; the issue is selection/culling on the underwriters' side to choose pools that are cherry-picking the healthy preferentially.

Consider it as a shared benefit; some early pain by the young would be recouped later on as their rates wouldn't be as high as they will eventually be when they get shoved into those same high-risk pools.

--

Reply to
dpb

And I think that the health insurance hooha was a very large driver of a lot of that as it became too expensive for many companies to afford.

That serves up what MCaid and parts of MCare are supposed to be for. Also, many are still employable, just aren't.

I have also suggested that health insurance be required to look at their ENTIRE private market as one group. That would help spread the risk and also help limit the Death Spiral.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

On 5/28/2012 3:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote: ...

Type I, ok. Type II, maybe "not so much". Lifestyle there may be the primary if not only causative event aiui.

Reply to
dpb

But the elderly are largely out of the general pool and are members of that REALLY big group known as MCare. If the problems lasted much more than for 2010 and was a smaller group, they may very well have had to in order keep it affordable.

Not really. The surcharge would be first of all for private groups and not the government insurance. I am suggesting they have a big enough group to handle it. The surcharge would in addition to the premium, although it might come pretty close to evening out since the risk of the really big losses are being spread out over the entire population.

Very much so. They don't charge for insurance they don't provide.

I have always suggested that was a really dumb stat and I stand by it. You are going to spend the most at the end of life because you (unless you are decapitated for die in similar fashion that means the EMTs don't transport you) are sickest at the end of your life. MCaid in Oregon actually has a policy that if you don't have a 5-year survival chance of at least a certain percentage, you don't get 3rd level cancer treatments. Whenever health or medical writers in Oregon have a slow news day and a hopped up editor, they find a person who has been denied some sort of lifesaving cancer treatment by MCaid and then got it from the Pharm Company and Take Outrage and Umbrage.. but more importantly take a few column inches. (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Bingo!

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The ER can refuse you if you are not in active labor or have a life or limb-threatening problem. For instance they can street you with cancer, etc. Even then, their only responsibility under federal law is to stabilize you.

Obesity is a choice and the fastest growing reason for T2 diabetes.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I'm not demanding anything. Insurance is a good idea, not a mandate. I don't want the government telling me what to do. Participate if you'd like, Go on your own if you don't. I don't care, just don't ask me to cover you if you don't have any insurance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't be absurd. Buy from an insurance company.

Wow! What a short attention span.

Reply to
krw

...with similar risk profiles.

You're making no sense today.

Reply to
krw

Sure you are. You're demanding that the healthy support the sick, the young support the old, by paying the same premiums for the same coverage. Their risk profiles are nothing like each other.

Some would disagree. ;-)

That's exactly what you're demanding by dictating rates/risks.

But that doesn't square what you said (top of this post).

Reply to
krw

I don't really have an issue with that. Employees are welcome to work elsewhere. I *do* have an issue if the government tells the insurance company that's the way they have to operate.

Reply to
krw

Why do you snip so close?

Because you're telling the insurance company (or employer) how they have to set their rates.

What gives you the power to dictate the pools?

Reply to
krw

Fix the problem, don't destroy the patient curing the disease.

*YOU* are dictating the insurance pools. That *is* being big brother.

If you have diabetes you will cost more. Why should the other members of your "pool" have to pay for it?

Reply to
krw

A lot of folks are leaving Californiastan for other parts. It sounds like another bale of hay was just dropped on the camel's back. Heck, I wonder if there are any states that are free from natural disasters? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas