Buying and installing a new gas water heater

For $540, I'll come to your place anywhere in the USA (continental only) and install your water heater. Shouldn't take more than one hour, even if new fittings are involved. $150 absolute max.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You'd turn down a trip to Hawaii? Or, you could go to Alaska, and rub noses with Eskimos. You're no fun.... (grin here).

. Christ> For $540, I'll come to your place anywhere in the

USA (continental only) and install your water heater. Shouldn't take more than one hour, even if new fittings are involved. $150 absolute max.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not so sure there is much profit in doing it for $150, at least not here in NJ. I think a lot of people underestimate the overhead and costs of running a business. Car service places are charging around $100 an hour for labor now. And putting in a WH, taking the old one away involves travel time and a truck too. Two guys, a truck, etc, I would be charging more than $150, certainly here in NJ. And if it were NYC, forget about it. Drive across a bridge or tunnel and it's $10 to $13. Park the truck, $30. A permit is required here too. Who pays for that? Run into a problem, it could take extra time. Then whatever profit you have left, the govt takes 30 to 50% of that.

Reply to
trader4

Ditto what nate just wrote. Some jurisdictions require permits and/or licensed plumbers/installers especially for gas water heaters where there is a risk of gas leaks, fire, explosion, hot water/steam danger, etc. My town will permit a DIY installation, but requires inspection aftward. If someone from the town notices a water tank on the tree lawn, they'll check to make sure a permit was pulled.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Complain as you will; but I don't want my nut neighbor to install a gas water heater in his house and have it blow up next to mine.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

just how many homes explode yearly from natural gas?

most home fires are caused by cooking.......

perhaps homes shouldnt be built with kitchens?

Reply to
bob haller

Now, that's a thought. After all, no one needs a four burner stove. Paraphrasing the politician "no one NEEDS four burners to cook a pot of stew!"

. Christ> just how many homes explode yearly from natural gas?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you're that paranoid, you pay for a plumber to install his water heater. Problem solved.

Reply to
krw

Yes, some cities have full-employment policies for the trades. Go ahead and cower there, if you must.

Reply to
krw

More specifically, how many homes explode yearly from natural gas where it was caused by a WH installation that was incorrectly done by a homeowner, versus how many homes explode yearly from nat gas where the work was done incorrectly by a pro, where the install was done correctly, etc?

I'm betting the number attributed to HO's is small. There aren't that many nat gas explosions in houses to begin with. I can't recall one where the cause was determined to be an incorrect installation by the HO. And then let's look at the total number of deaths each year and compare it to other sources, like smoking in bed, leaving a stove burner turned on, slipping in the shower, drowning in a pool, etc.

Reply to
trader4