Brick tile resurfacing for sidewalk

Hi, Anyone used brick tile (the thin, 1/2" stuff) to resurface a sidewalk? I've seen it done somewhere using thinset mortar. Just wondering if anyone has had experience doing this and how it held up over time. I've got about 400 sq.ft. of sidewalk to cover, including stairs, and it seems like this would be an easy, simple way to do it and not raise the height too much, if it's durable. Not sure how the cost of the brick tile compares to full or half-thickness clay pavers? Thanks

Reply to
richard

You could do this in areas that don't freeze but I be very reluctant to do it where water could get under the tiles, freeze, and pop the tiles off.

RB

richard wrote:

Reply to
RB

A friend of mine did this in NY and he's a tile installer. Used the clay pavers right on the concrete steps and porch using thinset. 3 years ago so far so good.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Oh it freezes in NY I can assure you. The finished job is grouted just like a tile floor.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I don't think freezing in the bond layer is the big concern. Frost heave would be the big concern. Most sidewalks move a little during the course of the year, and you would likely get cracking over the old expansion joints, and where it meets the steps, etc. If the budget doesn't cover putting in proper bedded bricks, and you simply must have the brick look, I'd call around and see if anyone in your area does the faux brick topcoating. Basically they clean the existing concrete, and tape off the 'joints', and do a weatherproof stenciling job on the rest. If you are bound and determined to cover the existing concrete with brick, I'd dry-lay the parts below the steps, and grout with dark sand. I'd also do the layout so all expansion joints didn't have a brick crossing them. Make the joint at the bottom of the step so the sidewalk can ride up w/o popping off the bricks on the riser. How are you going to handle the height difference where your brick meets the city sidewalk or curb?

Personally, I think it is more trouble than it is worth, if the existing concrete is in good condition. At absolute most, I'd do a dye job to make the color blend in with the house better, and not worry about it.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Check BIA (Brick Industry Association) & TTile Council of America web sites for mortar and installation info.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker