Boat load of GMO corn for sale cheap!

Someone please buy our toxic GMO corn. Those rumors about leaky gut intestinal problems are lies! Please help Mega-Agro Corp CEOs make more money.

GMO

"China's quality watchdog...."

Must be the same China watchdog that keeps rejecting dogfood, toothpaste, etc, knowing the US doesn't mind buying that kinda toxic crap for its own chemically saturated citizens. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yeahbut! .....I bet 70% of everything in the store CONTAINS corn. And US has no other kind of corn other than GMOd.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Actually, we have non gmo corn in the U.S. One example here:

I think the big companies like Pioneer and Monsanto have them also. They are probably varieties for food grade products. There is some debate about the advantages of gm vs. non gm. One advantage is gm versions can cut down on insecticide use. They can also allow better weed control as with Roundup Ready soybeans. Roundup Ready soybeans used to have a small yield disadvantage compared to non Roundup Ready. I don't know if that's still the case. It comes down to $$$ as with most things. Farmers are businessmen in jeans and t shirts.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

One suggestion would be for city, town, suburban types to let their lawns go natural. City folk use about ten times the chemicals per acre on their lawns as farmers do on their fields. Cite:

Search terms: farmer vs. homeowner, per acre use of pesticides

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Reply to
Dan Espen

Hi, Not here. We can't use chemical fertilizer on our lawns. It's the law. Golf courses are big time user of fertilizers.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well, 2,4-D has been around since WWII. More here:

You'll note that the U.S. EPA and its counterpart in the EU approve of 2,4-D use. The article mentions the half life of 2,4-D being sixteen days. Farmers won't be using it that close to harvest. As an aside, seed corn companies do spray the seed corn plants to kill them off for harvest. They use salt water.

Bright, young versions of Frank will find something else probably. Crop rotation, along with pesticide rotation, can help. My memory goes back to the 1960s before GMO and modern pesticides. Farmers spent a lot of time tilling their fields. It wasn't unusual for them to work the soil six or eight times to raise a crop. Keeping weeds under control in soybeans was just a dream. Soybeans didn't tolerate chemicals well. I spend my summers in crop fields. Fields nowadays are largely weed free. That wasn't the case 20 years ago or so. Even the best farmers had a lot of weeds in the fields as the summer wore on. The weeds would, of course, suck up nutrients and water intended for the crop. RoundupReady makes a soybean/corn rotation more practical. A farmer can no till soybeans directly into the previous year's corn stalks. They wait a few weeks then spray the soybeans with Roundup to kill the weeds. That's it until harvest. Soybeans are legumes. They will leave behind about 45 pounds of nitrogen for the next year's corn crop to use. The Wikepedia article also mentions the most common uses for 2,4-D. The second one listed is no till burn down. That would be done before planting or sowing the crop.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Bread is made from corn?

Reply to
krw

damn, you've never heard of corn rye? or corn bread?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Here's a recipe from FoodNutwerk's racist chef:

Bubba

We've poisoned the oceans with mercury, let's see if we can't trash the land too! Bring it on Monsanto.

Reply to
Slim

There is food grade and feed grade corn. A bit here from Cargill:

They mention that the corn is conventionally bred. This is from an outfit called Andersons Grain.
They use rail cars dedicated to food grade corn. Food grade and feed grade could interbreed if left to nature. I guess the food grade producers use isolation rows in the fields around the actual crop they sell. The isolation rows are destroyed if they follow the same practices seed corn companies do.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Perhaps it contains high-fructose corn syrup or some other corn derivative. Mass-market breads taste a little sweet to me. Since I don't buy them, I don't pay much attention to their ingredients.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Most processed foods, including breads, contain GMO corn by-products such as corn syrup and corn starch. Sometimes we even use GMO beet sugar, and lots of it. Yumm!

But don't worry, GMO products have been thoroughly tested and are totally safe for you. We love you.

I mean really, would corporations create products that were bad for their beloved customers for the sake of increasing their profit? Of course not. We're all family.

Reply to
Frankenscientist

The REAL question is would every government (including the EU and other not terribly shy about poking around in things) decide that GMO is safe. This is the foodie equivalent of the autism flu vaccine hooha except GMO hasn't had a fradulent study published.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The Food and Drug Administration allowed the first GM foods onto world markets in spite of its own scientists' warnings that genetic engineering is different from conventional breeding and poses special risks, including the production of new toxins or allergens. The FDA overruled its scientists in line with a US government decision to foster the growth of the GM industry.

The FDA formed a policy for GM foods that did not require any safety tests or labelling. The creation of this policy was overseen by Michael Taylor, FDA's deputy commissioner of policy, a position created especially for Taylor.

Taylor was a former attorney for the GM giant Monsanto and later became its vice president for public policy.

How can anyone not see the problem here?

Reply to
Red Hymen

Not to worry. I'll make up for you.

Reply to
krw

Damn, did you flunk first grade reading? No, you're just a leftist pathological liar, as you always have been and always will be (too damned stupid to learn).

Reply to
krw