blowing dust off screens

I have a cheap Sears 3-gallon air compressor. It has worked fine for inflating tires.

I would like to rig up a tool for cleaning window screens by blowing the dust off them with compressed air. I am thinking in terms of a wand a few feet long with a fan-shaped nozzle on the end. (For reasons too complicated to go into, I don't want to just use the hose on the screens). Just wondering if (a) something like that is already available as a compressor attachment, or (b) would it be difficult to fabricate something like that with items from the big box store (air hose connector, PVC piping, etc.).

Reply to
Heathcliff

Wouldn't it be easier to remove them and wash them with detergent and water? While the screens are drying clean out the dirt in the window tracks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Don't complicate the situation more. He could hang them over a clothes line and beat them with a straw broom.

Reply to
Oren

Your tiny air compressor will turn this no-job into a big-job.

My window washer just takes out the screen (in order to get at the windows). He then uses a small dust-brush to brush the dust off the screens. Takes only a few seconds. Very satisfactory and fast.

Reply to
Walter R.

He is alergic to water and brooms, the dishwasher would work.

Reply to
ransley

I just use the blower position ono my shop vacuum and brush the screen while blowing out the window, I don't even have to remove the screen as long as the wind is in the right direction,

Reply to
hrhofmann

You'd do a lot better with a shop vac and a snow brush. At least, that's my guess. Or a brush tip for a vac cleaner hose.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Straw is so 19th century. He needs a plug in Elektrik Broom from the 1950s.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would suggest a shop vac with a brush attachement to lossen the dust and capture it so it does not redoposit.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Try a leaf blower. It that ain't good enough use a pressure washer.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

The volume of air your compressor supplies is probably in the neighborhood of 2 - 3 cubic feet per minute (cfm). You would need about 8 -10 cfm, the volume supplied by a 50 gal shop compressor. Yours just won't handle what you propose. KC

Reply to
KC

Hi, I'm new here and can't help much with major repairs, but cleaning screens is easy. I put them in the bath tub, spray a little of your favorite cleaner on them, then hit them with the shower spray hose. Takes only a few seconds per screen. Then I wipe the bottoms and place them right back in the windows, they're dry in minutes.

Trying to clean them with air or a brush is way too messy, dust flying everywhere. Hot water spray in the bath tub is the way to go.

I'm really enjoying this group and learning a lot.

Denise

Reply to
Denise in NH

Welcome Denise...That is how the wife taught me how to clean screens as well....Works slick......Maine here....We're almost neighbors...LOL... ; )

Reply to
benick

Coat the screens with peanut butter and let the local critters clean them for you. PLUS you get free entertainment - it's a Win-Win!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken