Bill Nye on face masks

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/us/bill-nye-face-covering-tiktok-trnd/index.html

On 2020-07-09 16:47, Andrew Kennedy wrote:

Smoke particles are YUGE. His test did nothing to demonstrate it blocked particles as small as viruses.
And he was a bit of a drama queen to boot.
On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 8:18:36 PM UTC-5, T wrote:

You are very negative.
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/
On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 9:18:36 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

Viruses don't ride around by themselves. They're inside droplets of saliva and snot that are much larger than a virus.
Cindy Hamilton
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 07:42:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

... and soak right through a cotton rag, ending up on the outside. Then what happens to them when you sneeze?
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 1:16:44 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't actually sneeze all that often. However, I coughed this morning at the grocery store. Into the crook of my arm, just as one is supposed to.
Cindy Hamilton
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:07:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

When I listen to Trader, Rafter and Jim, we are all coughing and sneezing all day.
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 15:13:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You're the one who keeps bringing up sneezing. Remember your Claymore comments? No one but you is bringing up sneezing, except maybe Mr T.

Greg reminds me of my uncle Russ. We went fishing in my car, a '64 Bug. When we started off I put on my seat belt. He looked at me in shock, and said "What the hell are you wearing that for?!" I said, "My best buddy rolled his car on the DC beltway. He got ejected and the car rolled on him and cut off both his legs. He bled to death." It was if uncle Russ didn't even hear me. He said angrily, "What if you go in the river?!" I didn't bother arguing with him, just asked If he had beer and ice in the cooler. He said "yeah" and we got along fine.
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 18:34:40 -0500, Vic Smith

He reminds of that uncle who sits on the couch, watching his fringe right news, yelling at the TV with one hand slid deep under his belt. Highly opinionated and endlessly clueless, he never passes up an opportunity to mischaracterize and misinterpret what he's reading. As trader says, 1+1=6.
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 7:34:49 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:

The other favorite is what about if the car catches fire and you can't get out because the buckle won't release. I've never had a seatbelt buckle that would not release. The odds of that happening during a fire have to be infinitesimal. The odds of you having an accident and by wearing a seatbelt being conscious so you can leave a burning car are higher.
On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 08:58:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

More likely is running your car off in the water and struggling with the seat belt. I understand you never have a problem with it in front of the Piggly Wiggly but you are not in a car full of water (or smoke in the original scenario) and you are less likely to be in panic mode. One thing, taught in some self defense courses, is to get in the habit of unbuckling with the opposite hand, sliding your hand under the buckle and belt, to the point that it is muscle memory. Then you can easily sweep the shoulder belt up and away in one natural motion allowing you free motion.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com formulated on Friday :

I don't know where you got that idea, you are the one who keeps talkng about soaked face coverings and burst propagation of particles.
T formulated on Friday :

Yes, he is. Why do you think it supports your conclusions? It says that facemasks work.
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 7:16:03 AM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

trnd/index.html

lets

Then

+1
"We show that the use of masks will reduce the airborne droplet transmissio n and will also protect the wearer from the droplets expelled from other su bjects. However, many droplets still spread around and away from the cover, cumulatively, during cough cycles. Therefore, the use of a mask does not p rovide complete protection, and social distancing remains important during a pandemic. The results of this study provide evidence of droplet transmiss ion prevention by face masks, which can guide their use and further improve ment."
Two things, Mr. T obviously doesn't read much of what he cites and somehow the Trumpets do read something and what they claim to read is totally different from what you and I read. This whole Trump saga is like we're watching different movies. For example, I already see the usual Trumpets claiming Trump did not say what we have him on tape saying to Telemundo saying that the SC just gave him new powers and he will be doing a path to citizenship for DACA via an exec order. They say it didn't happen, it's fake news. The denial runs deep.
On 2020-07-11 04:15, FromTheRafters wrote:

:
-trnd/index.html

plets

is

as

.
Split infinitive at work. I meant the g was correct.
As for the study, it looks good. Thank you for sharing. I am adding it to my collection for when folks challenge me.
And you are wildly misinterpreting its findings. This was for "N95" mask, not the shite mask from Wally World. Scroll down to "III. RESULTS AND DISCUSSION" and read it very carefully. Look for things like:
Wearing a [an N95] mask also reduces the lateral dispersion, but it does not eliminate it (Figs. 8 and 9). As we will show in Sec. III C, the nominal efficiency of the present mask is ∼91%. The simulations reveal that despite the high (nominal) efficiency, there is a considerable amount of droplets transported downstream of the subject.
Also keep in mind this did not test transmission by aerosolization.
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 7:01:40 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

:
-trnd/index.html

plets

is

as

.
Who's fault is it that all Americans don't have effective masks by now? It's been 4 months. Who should have production ramped up, who has the authority to use DPA where necessary? If we had a real, competent preside nt, effective masks would be available for free to all Americans by now. This disaster will get much worse before the malfeasance ends in January.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Then you're listening but not hearing.

How often do you sneeze? Yes, it may spread some but a rare sneeze is not a good excuse not to wear a mask. The onetime I had to sneeze with a mask I grabbed my handkerchief and pulled up the mask. Not a big deal.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

__________ Myself, about 10-20x daily - sinus damage from pre- and post-natal exposure to cigarette, etc., smoke.
Mostly within one hour of getting out of bed, and as it gets later in the evening.
I do sneeze at work - while masked, and as Cindy correctly suggested, into the crook of my arm.