battery on lawn tractor

The "active material" flakes off the plates and settles to the bottom, shorting the battery out. And sometimes the plate connectors just break.

Reply to
clare

sitting for months with tractor not run causes the plates to sulphate, and the battery to fail.

worse if tractor is stored in a very cold or very hot place, your typical shed

Reply to
bob haller

Aha, thanks; I wasn't seeing how it'd really make a difference (and I assumed the batteries would be built to withstand it).

Yep... as mentioned in my other post, that's part of the reason I don't bother with a battery on the tractor - I can't be bothered keeping it on charge over the cold season (which is a long time up here in MN :-)

Now that did cross my mind - I can well believe that cheaper tractors don't have the kinds of charging systems that might be present on the more expensive ones, and that might be responsible for early failure; I was just surprised that the vibration could play a part, too.

Maybe it's worth putting a piece of rubber mat, mouse pad, or something like that under the battery to help dampen the vibration...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I

Modern small engines have a rotor and stator underneath the flywheel that generate the electricity.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Unless the starting motor has a gear drive. Actually, the TRUTH is, it is a lot easier to use agenerator as a starter on a small single cyl engine. The "starterator" is much more a modified generator than a modified starter.

Reply to
clare

And true only if the battery goes dead while sitting. A fully charged battery cannot sulphate (and sulphation has nothing to do with vibration - which is what the question was about)

Reply to
clare

The flywheel IS the rotor

Reply to