Bathroom floor - to remove previous layer or not?

We are re-doing our bathroom and just got done removing all the tiles. The contractor was supposed to replace the floor with duroc and then install tile on top of that (pretty think porcelain tile).

When all the tiles we removed, we were left with the plywood and a layer of what looked like dry glue (about 1/8" thickness). The contractor wants to install a duroc sheet above this without cleaning out the glue layer. Is that OK? This will end up raising the floor about 3/4" and the bottom of the door may have to be cut a little bit. Is that OK? Do you see any problems?

thanks

Reply to
Sunday4

If the stool and vanity are out of the bathroom, and the existing subfloor is not clean and level, It Shouldn't Be That Big A Deal to cut out and replace the plywood. That is what Sawzalls and blocking were invented for. You want the floor under ceramic to be as flat and stiff as possible. Even duroc flexes a little- if there is an air pocket under it where the glue was uneven, what happens when a 220 pound guest steps there?

Even if it costs a few more bucks and takes an extra day, you don't wanna redo this in five years due to popped/cracked tiles. Tell the contractor to do it the right way.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers