Baseboard heaters for large cold room?

What are your opinions of those permanent hard wired baseboard heaters for one end of a house that stays colder than the other. (Living room) to support the regular heat. Are these any good and how much heat do they put out. I saw some at lowes that were not too expensive and some ran off 220.

What do you think of how these look. I have a house about 5 years old.

Reply to
Don

How much the heater cost will pale next to the bill for the energy they use. I would first see if an HVAC guy could correct the problem with your existing system.

Steve B.

Reply to
Joe

What is your KWH cost most areas pay double per btu for electricity. If you pay alot running new duct work will be cheaper in the long run.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you had 220 in that area they would work. If you have to pay somebody to run the wiring, you might as well start by paying somebody to check out the heating system, the ductwork may need balanced(that's probably not the right term) but they need to adjust the dampers in the ducts.

Reply to
Chris Hill

I had electric baseboard heat in a shop some years ago. Froze, and went broke. Kept the heat down cause I knew it would be expensive. I wasn't disppointed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

First, if you have a forced air system, they look stupid. :)

Find a HVAC company in your area that will come and balance the duct work, or find out if the original ductwork was run incorrectly to support the load on the room.

We had one today that was in a half million dollar home, that the owners paid out the nose for an addition, and the addition was cold. After checking airflow to the rest of the home, and doing a quick duct sizing calculation, we found that the return was grossly undersized, and the unit was not able to supply enough air for the addition. We upsized from a 12 inch return to a proper 16 inch, and the airflow difference was incredible. Now, the room is the same temp as the rest of the home and the unit, is working at peak efficiency.

Reply to
CBhvac

My thoughts go along with all the other posts. But I will include some good and bad points. Good

  1. Quiet
  2. Clean, no dust

Bad

  1. Expensive to buy
  2. Expensive to use
  3. Usually smell funny when first used, or not used for a while.
  4. If you have kids, they get hot enough to burn little fingers.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I've been using an unvented kerosene stove for about 20 years. Much cheaper than electric and great to have if the power goes off. Grumpy

Reply to
Grumpy OM