Bad Tenants

We're in a college town, one that's made the national news several times because of the drunken riots kids through after winning a big game. The landlord next to us got desperate and rented to kids who ended up having a kegger and lighting a huge bonfire under a dried out tree that caught on fire requiring 4 firetrucks and 6 police cars to respond at 2AM. That's what I would like to avoid!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Sadly, both my wife and I are leaning toward that decision because we live in an area where the tenant gets the benefit of all doubts in court.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I know it's a question of percentages but even removing all the newspapers and TV court shows from the equation, just the experiences of my neighbors tell me that renting in my area is more perilous than it is in other, less tenant-friendly jurisdictions. Just how much so is a matter for investigation.

Not sure if that's an option, and don't want to be hit with a discrimination suit if I turn one down.

These are hard times. It makes people more desperate than they normally might be. I just want to make sure I have all the information I need to make a competent decision. If the thread wanders around a bit to the absurd, then so be it. It wouldn't be Usenet if it didn't! (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I haven't run the issue to ground, but it seems like something the Feds would do - screw ME for trying to keep my property in proper order and not rented out to someone who obviously can't pay their rent without a government handout. I think that's part of the problem. It's hard to respect property that someone else is paying to rent for you.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

We're residentially zoned, so that option is out, at least as far as this house is concerned.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yes, that's true. It's odd, but the recipients of Section 8 welfare are both tenants and landlords. The landlords couldn't rent without subsidies for the tenants.

We have a Section 8 rental (more like a Plan 9 from Outer Space rental!) in our neighborhood that has weekly police visits, monthly social worker visits and hourly visits from people at 4AM whom I believe are there to buy drugs. The landlord had the place on the market for 8 months so he was willing to take anything. Reposession was just a few months away for him.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Working class, small 2 bedroom houses with off-street parking. I agree with your requirements for prospective tenants. These houses tend to rent because they are small. The Section 8 rental is getting $2K a month and my neighbor gets $800 a month for her nicely finished basement with their own side entrance.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Some have suggested that's not legal. Can you shed any light on how you refuse Section 8 and whether it's legal to do so?

That's how it's supposed to work, but this A88hole on the People's Court apparently found that if the unit is not in good repair (i.e., he simply broke out a window) that the eviction process is put on hold until the repairs are made.

If I am not mistaken, you live in Lexington KY where the judges are probably a tad more sympathetic to landlords then they are here. The more I research, the less I find I like about being a landlord, at least in suburban MD.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yes, it seems that a lot of trouble in rentals comes from not understanding responsibilities under the lease.

That sounds like a very smart thing to do. Don't the tenants complain? Some people are obessive about their privacy.

I would venture a guess that a monthly "look-see" is the best way to keep things from going off the rails.

Yes, I suspect that would be true.

Reply to
Robert Green

That's precisely why I might just have a management company handle the first year's rental. Thanks!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Landlords have no legal obligation to accept Section 8 tenants.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

Good luck with that. Put it in your lease that they have to maintain utilities.

Generally tenants that are short on money will put you off and try to pay the utilities instead. If they don't have money for utilities they will be hard to get out as they are out of options. Some excel at house jumping.

You don't have to be a hard ass. But the longer you let something slide, the more trouble you will have. Don't get played. I've seen this happen over and over. That doesn't mean you won't have trouble, just don't make it easy or unavoidable.

Get the best people in you can. Do that by making a nice place to live.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

They have a seldom-used ordinance around here, that after the 3rd drug or 'disorderly house' bust, the city can padlock the place for a year. Very questionable constitutionality, but they have done it a few times. I hear you about the conga-lines of 5-minute visitors. That is why I moved out of my first apartment in this town. I told the manager why in no uncertain terms, and that I was tired of seeing cop cars almost every night. Yes, this is shortly after the complex was opened to section 8. She said she understood. Place finally got so bad they built a fence and electric gates around it, and now call themselves a gated community, but under the fresh siding, the buildings are still pits.

Reply to
aemeijers

All I can say that as bad as the crash was here, I am sure glad I don't live in Florida. If global climate change theorists are right, Florida is due for death by hurricane any season now. The Feds will eventually have to insure Floridians because no insurer will want to take the risk if there are lots of Katrina and Andrew size storms in your future. I also can't see Fla. government surviving without changing the tax structure drastically. IIRC, Florida ranked high on unfunded pension liabilities for state and local gov't employees. Not that I am knocking your state, mind you, it just bore the brunt of the recent meltdown because it used to be a place everyone wanted to live. (-: In a spec bubble, the mightiest fall along with the weakest. Times they are a changin'.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Yep, it's certainly an interesting business proposition, full of so many "what if's" that in the end, you just got to go with your gut. We're pretty much at the point of deciding not to rent out the place and just to carry it while we "live around" to see where we'll eventually land. I used to have my heart set on California, but they're falling off a financial cliff into an earthquake and a slo-mo replay of the Spanish-American war. Real estate there seems to have actually bottomed out, at least according to the LA Times, which is bottoming out itself.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Talk to your insurance company before you leave it empty. A lot of policies may not cover on an 'empty' (ie, longer than a 2 week vacation) house.

Reply to
aemeijers

I agree. Nothing dictates it be anything but cordial and mutually beneficial. I assume you live someplace where chivalry means something to be able to operate without paper. I assure you, that's not here!

We've been thinking about that and the only thing that scares me is that I was a housesitter once upon a time and I wasn't particularly a responsible young man although I could fake it enough to get the gig. I am afraid I would be turning my house over to a younger version of me. (-:

Yes - we're near enough to DC to make it attractive to tourists but that kind of rental is usually best done by someone who's living near the area to coordinate things. We wouldn't be.

Thanks for your input - it's something to consider if we ever decide to become professional landlords.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It turns out I don't want to rent to anyone who was like me when I first started out! (-:

Sounds like a good idea. Glad I've been watching "Lie to Me" to get a handle on micro facial expressions.

This a college town. They pack 'em in like clown cars despite the local zoning laws limiting the number of occupants. That's why inspection (or a webcam mounted in a neighbor's window pointing to the house) is a very, very good idea.

I came across this "technique" when listening to Carleton Sheets CDs I had borrowed. Apparently three Ben Franklins translates into an irresistible lure for skeevy dirtballs. Good to know. My neighbor only rents to fellow churchmembers. Now I know why.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I do live in Lexington and the judges simply enforce the law as it is written. Sympathy does not enter into it. If you are not happy with the laws in your state, lobby for change. Personally I would not be a landlord in the northeast or the peoples republic of California.

There is no legal requirement, at least in this state, to accept section 8 or any other form of subsidized housing; so it is not a Federal law. I have accepted it in the past. I am an authorized Landlord. For your area a simple call to the section 8 office will get you an answer to your question as it applies to you.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

What could go wrong?

As to one's initial choice of a firearm for personal protection at home, as somewhat of a gun maven, I'd suggest a 16 (or larger) gauge shotgun.

A nice compromise is "The Judge," a revolver that shoots .410 gauge shotgun shells and/or .45 long colt cartridges. Your first shot should be the shotgun shell. That stuns the assailant so he presents a stationary target for the bowling-ball-sized bullet that's next in line.

Reply to
HeyBub