Apostasy: Texan can't park pickup in driveway

"[FRISCO, TX] Jim Greenwood said he never dreamed his HOA would have a problem with his new Ford F-150 pickup. Then he received the first of three notices threatening him with fines.

"Stonebriar HOA rules allow several luxury trucks on driveways, including the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and Lincoln Mark LT.

"But most Ford, Dodge or Chevy pickups are restricted."

First they came for the Fords. I didn't protest because I didn't have a Ford...

Reply to
HeyBub

Gee....you don't suppose someone buying a house in a HOA should have read the rules first?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

Why is a Honda Ridgeline considered a luxury truck? What makes it more luxurious than an F-150 or Silverado?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

larry moe 'n curly wrote: ...

Somebody on the HOA board had one when they were drafting the covenants, of course... :(

Reply to
dpb

Wait, wait, I know this one! It's the same reason that these idjits think all foreign wine tastes better than domestic.

RicodJour

This really sounds more like an operational rule than a bylaw or deed restriction. I bet if you could get 30 people to show up at an annual meeting you could change it. I bet the deed restriction only uses language like "work truck" or "commercial vehicle" and the definition is left up to the board. In my little HOA we actually killed the deed restrictions altogether, just by getting enough people to show up. These things usually sunset if you don't renew them. All you need to do is show up at that meeting with the votes and let them die. The world is controlled by those who show up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Truly excellent advice, and words to live by.

RicodJour

With lots of guns.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

You're kidding, right? The last set of HOA rules I saw were in two binders, each one thicker than a major city telephone book. Paul MR

Reply to
Paul MR

Paul MR wrote in news:cPsqk.21982$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

Buyer beware. Never buy where there is a HOA. There's the guy who was told he couldn't fly the US flag in his yard.

Those stupid HOAs CAUSE more problems.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

If you can see more than two of your neighbors from your house, you live too close together for my taste. The idea of an HOA makes sense in the city, if it's condos or the buildings are attached, but not for free-standing single-family homes. Why on earth does anyone put up with that? My mother's retirement community calls themselves an HOA, but the residents don't own the cottages, so it's not like there's much responsibility. They have only a few "quality of life" rules, and they're very easy to live with (non-residents must park in vistor parking, etc.).

Because too many people are "sheeple" that "go along to get along", especially for rules that offer (even if only by illusion) protection from downward mobility or lack of upward mobility of the sale price of their housing units.

So too many people do not resist anal-orifice busybodies when they run for election to HOA boards or when they do their dirty busybody deeds once the busybodies get elected.

And so, in some HOA neighborhoods, one cannot do car repairs on one's own driveway much beyond changing a tire, and in extreme cases one even cannot engage in a nice good long kiss with a date in front of one's own front door. And one can get into trouble for painting one's screen door with the wrong finish-grade of white paint.

- DEon Klipstein ( snipped-for-privacy@misty.com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

One problem you will find with most HOA's is that they refuse the would be home buyer a copy of the rules until the closing. I have placed several bids on houses part of the bid being subject to having a copy of the home owners rules for review. You would be shocked as to how many come back with an answer that the HOA doesn't allow the rules to be handed out before closing. Thats when you walk away. Lou

Reply to
Lou

That alone is reason to walk away. I'd never buy a house in a HOA run place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

In one apartment complex where I lived, I got in a little tiff with the management because they had a "no maintenance" rule. Apparently someone had seen me removing the carburetor from my girlfriend's car in the parking lot and reported me (I was outside all of five minutes.) I was then told that "no maintenance" means that the hood cannot be raised nor can the car be jacked up. period.

The retarded thing was that I know my immediate neighbors did not report me because they all knew the car (a very distinctive, old car) and liked it and would come down to chat about old cars if they saw me with tools.

it was then that I realized that a) I had to move quickly before I eventually got evicted and b) when I eventually did get financially able to buy a house I was definitely looking for one that did not fall under an HOA so I didn't end up in a similar situation.

nate

Reply to
N8N

So you're recommending somebody buy a major investment w/o reading the conditions associated w/ it????

Hardly wise counsel it would seem... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Or on the front yard?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If I were him I'd put up a big-ass American flag and big-ass TV antenna, neither of which are leagal for HOA's to stop.

Reply to
RickH

Probably because even though it was built/assembled in Tennessee (like our 2002 Nissan pickup purchased here in Canada) it has a Japanese name.

Don't worry when Indian Tata and/or Chines/Korean/Indonesian cheaper electric cars etc. start appearing on our highways, costing one tenth in electric fuel than gasoline some idiot/s will try to ban them too! Bit expensive and limited rang right now; but like computers, VCRs, DVD players the price will come down and availability increase.

BTW anyone see Jay Leno driving his 1909 electric car. And then the demonstrator 2008 electric Tesla (partly British Lotus, assembled in California). More fun than a Miata or an MG; oh gee! Neither of them are North American either!

To be acceptable in our 'bling' societies things have to be big, wasteful, polluting, too expensive and showy.

BTW We rented a U-Haul yesterday to bring home some used lumber, now stacked in our back yard, hauling it behind our used 2006 Nissan X.Terra.

This fall or next spring an associate is going to 'give' me a 12 by 20 shed that will rebuild in our back yard, hopefully as 14 by 20+ shed. Already asked the municipality and since it is in our back yard and does not contravene any street building line, in this town of the Free and the Brave, the town clerk can approve it without reference to the town council.

Anyway, got to go; it's beautiful day up here in the 'big' country (mid 70s) and I have towels and bed sheets in the washer to hang out on the clothesline. We even hear in this day and age with fuel and electricity rates rising sharply that in certain places hanging clothes on outside lines is not allowed! How stupid! Although 99% of our electrcity is generated here by non polluting water power they dry nicely and are soft and fluffy dried in the breeze without the use of 'fabric softeners' etc!

Reply to
terry