Any tricks for getting "contractor" discount on supplies?

That freedom goes both ways, as in the freedom of the supply house owner to give discounts to whoever he chooses.

You don't seem to adore freedom as much when it isn't to your benefit.

That's not a contractor's discount, that's tax fraud.

Contractors might engage in the practice known as "deeds not words." The supply house might not be aware for a couple of weeks that a couple of the contractors who had to "wait on line" behind a retail or non-contractor customer who was demanding a cash discount or the contractor's price, have taken their business to a different supply house where the owner recognizes that time, especially contractors time, is money.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

All the building supply places here will set you up with an account if you ask. Tell them what you are doing and how much you plan on spending. They will probably give you 10 % just on your face.

If you are in or near a rural area and can use rough cut lumber (750 + board feet) in your project, logs from a woodlot sawed with a portable mill are lots cheap than the building supply store. Also, used building supply businesses are a good way to save money, or find stuff for older homes that is not manufactured anymore.

It all worked for me.

Mike

Reply to
Boatman

My wife and I just spent the last two years building our own home. We didn't even try getting "contractor" discounts on our building supplies.

Despite that, we often received contractor pricing on many of our larger orders anyway because of the size of our purchases.

Also, we purchased many items at home centers (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) cheaper than some contractors prices.

In addition, we ordered many supplies (faucets, timers, special plumbing and electrical supplies, etc.) on the internet and saved a bundle over local pricing.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I know I Know I got to complex into the discount game being plaied in the hvac business and you would only understand what i was talking about if you were in the contracting business. Sorry

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Yes, If you are building a house. The suppliers will automaticly put you in the contractor picture. In so may words you are a contractor by buying so much stuff at one time.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Of course freedom goes both ways -- if you only spent half as much time reading and thinking as you do venting, you would know that I have stated many times that no one is *required* to give discounts. Rather, I will choose my suppliers based on who gives me the best combination of service, selection, and price. The market will then do all the rest...

I didn't realize that MC and VISA outlawed cash -- considering that I got a computer receipt and paid sales tax, it would be pretty stupid of them to not pass the tax on to the government. The reason they wanted cash is to avoid the 2-3% MC and VISA "tax" on transactions.

Why do you assume that contractors are faster than I am? If anything, since I am aware that I am a "guest" in this world, I try extra hard to be efficient. In fact, it is usually the contractors who are there asking to look at different things, shooting the sh*t, and holding up the line!

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about others sharing in some of the pricing and selection benefits that contractors typically get? Is your precious contractor discount your only source of self-esteem on this planet?

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Now you're just getting frivolous.

Ahhh, I stand corrected.

Where did I mention anything about your transaction speed?

What would you know about what "usually" goes on?

First, the last comment wasn't mine. That's from 2 posts previous.

Second, I have no problem with even an off-the-street retail customer discovering the wonderous glories and possible savings that lay in wait behind those forboding, unmarked cold steel doors. I rarely step into a supply house, as my orders go into a machine.

I can only say this:

-It's not really a "contractor discount." What "it" is, is industry or trade pricing, which is lower than retail because selling at the retail level is very expensive. Retail requires those requisite markups to cover all kinds of added expenses like advertizing, air-conditioning warehouses, theft and mistakes made by bottom-of-the payscale employee zombies (not too many contractors waltz out of a supply house with an extra set of French patio doors the cashier "forgot" to scan, or have 6 pairs of antique brass hinges hidden in that 4.99 fire extinguisher box) acres of parking lots, managers, assistant managers and night managers and department heads, probably a whole lot more liability insurance, etc...

-I detect that it is you, not me nor anyone else who has responded in kind that has a "chip on his shoulder" about NOT getting a discount because you're NOT a contractor. Possibly because you're a businessman, you're aware of options that many others may not be or you explore different avenues in an effort to maximize your bottom line. But none of that *entitles* you what some other businessmen might get.

Reply to
HaHaHa

HaHaHa posted for all of us....

I don't think that has been established...

Reply to
Tekkie

Yeah.

It's the kind of thing folks get away with only because few people will press for it. A lot of us were raised not to 'take advantage' - once too many people jump on a discount that wasn't meant for them, the discount will no longer be offered. Like how ice cream shops in areas with a lot of homeless won't give taste samples anymore. A store will give Jeffrey J. his discount only because, thanks to most folks' decency, they won't have a store full of Jeffrey J's to deal with.

I don't expect Jeffret J. to get what I'm talking about, or he'll answer with some spin about how it's a free country.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Sour grapes from another lifelong loser who has no self-esteem beyond his "precious" contractor discount.

Somehow this Banty loser doesn't understand the first thing about economics or markets -- to him the world is one big "zero sum game" where my getting a discount somehow takes away from him.

The good news is that the supply houses I now frequent are getting to know me and give me that "contractor discount" with a smile. They are happy for my business - most of the time I don't even have to ask.

You have to feel sorry for losers like Banty who have nothing much else to live for in life than their hourly jobs.

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

You're particularly prone to presumption, not surpisingly.

You have my occupation wrong. But never mind that, you have my gender wrong, too.

Yeah yeah yeah, like I said.

Then you've established yourself as a worthwhile volume customer - on the order of a contractor. So, finally the answer to your subject question - looks like you're fine as long as you don't open your mouth too much.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky posted for all of us....

Yeah jeffy, they "know you"; as a loser. The discount you get is a level 1 where the real contractors get a level 4. The smile is a snicker.

Oh, don't bother with an email, you are loser and I don't read loser mail.

Reply to
Tekkie