Any such thing as in-place pipe dope?

I had some bumbleheads doing some remodeling work awhile back, and recently I smelled propane near an exterior, above-ground run of black pipe they installed. Tested with soapy water, and sure enough one of the joints at an elbow is leaking. Getting this run apart so that I can get to the elbow joint will be a hassle. Is there any way to repair this without disassembly? Perhaps a liquid pipe dope that I could brush on, and would seep in well enough to seal the pinhole leak?

Thanks,

Kelly

Reply to
kellyjones1

Loctite. Bleed off pressure first.

disclaimer: you know this isn't the "proper" method :-)

(Wonder what else they did??)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Plastic welding may work.

Reply to
Jack

I would not mess around I would redo it or have it done, it's not just a simple water leak.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Kelly-

No "brush on" sealant that I am aware of that will solve this problem :(

Your best bet (really the "right" way) for a good fix since this is an above ground run.......

remove the bad joint & replace it using a union somewhere in the system, that will allow everything to be tightened as needed...that way you won't have to take "everything" apart.

Just near the leaking joint.

cheers Bob

Jim-

I was having trouble getting my post to "go" while you where giving your answer....which Loctite product are you suggesting?

Reply to
BobK207

Kelly-

No "brush on" sealant that I am aware of that will solve this problem :(

Your best bet (really the "right" way) for a good fix since this is an above ground run.......

remove the bad joint & replace it using a union somewhere in the system, that will allow everything to be tightened as needed...that way you won't have to take "everything" apart.

Just near the leaking joint.

cheers Bob

Jim-

I was having trouble getting my post to "go" while you where giving your answer....which Loctite product are you suggesting?

Reply to
BobK207

If it were anything but a flammable, I'd consider it, but it's too risky w/ the fuel line imo.

If it were me, if you don't want to do it yourself, I'd hire somebody competent and send the bill to the bumbleheads. I guess strictly speaking, they're owed a chance to make it right, but I'd be reluctant to give them another chance since it is the propane line.

If it is a _major_ dissassembly to get there, while not ideal, could cut the line and insert a union to put it back together -- while fewer joints is better, I'd be more comfortable w/ two non-leaking joints than one leaker w/ a patch...

Reply to
dpb

And, of course, you should really do a pressure test after the repair before putting the line back into service...

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Michael B

Sometimes you just have to do the job right. Sorry, no good shortcuts, especially with gas. You must get the threads to close up, not use a filler.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Perhaps a liquid pipe dope that I

Yeah, I know. Seeing as it is only a 'pinhole' leak, I thought I'd check to see if there was a product certified for this purpose. Sounds like there isn't. I'll give the loctite some consideration, but will probably go with breaking it apart and putting in a union.

Don't even get me started. My favorite was the 1/2" copper water line which they bent - without benefit of a bender - about 20 degrees to get it around something. It crimped considerably, and they wanted to leave it like that, arguing that not only did it meet code, but it also met the standards of 'good workmanship' which the contract specified. I ended up cutting it out and repairing it myself, as I refused to have the wall closed up with that in it. Or the standard 'duct tape' (which doesn't meet code, at least here) that they used to tape up some HVAC duct work, and then when I protested treated me like *I* was the idiot for not knowing that "That's what duct tape is for - ducts!".

Thanks (everyone) for the recommendations,

Kelly

Reply to
kellyjones1

Indeed, I see the Loctite remedy as a possibility

I find a second layer of protection to be nice. Such as J.B.Weld. But to keep it from niggling at the back of your mind, redoing those joints correctly is going to do a lot for your mental wellbeing. Gonna be a while before you trust someone else to do a job, isn't it?

Loctite could well do it for you, though.

Reply to
Michael B

Union couplings should be used only in situations where the pipe would need to be opened for service. Otherwise use a solid pipe coupling with left hand thread on one side.

Reply to
Bob

Sure hate those extra-long URLs. After pasting the second line of the site on, we get a portion of their product line that reads

Loctite=AE Liquid Thread Sealants seal and secure metal pipes and fittings, filling the space between threaded metal parts, and hardening to prevent leakage. Designed for low and high pressure applications, liquid thread sealants seal instantly for low pressure testing. When fully cured, they seal to the burst strength of most piping systems.

T> Indeed, I see the Loctite remedy as a possibility

pageid=3D19&layout=3D4&productline=3DOEM4000

Reply to
Michael B

Reply to
BobK207

possibility

pageid=19&layout=4&productline=OEM4000

The Loctite product 579 is meant to be applied prior to assembly to clean & dry threads. Parts are to be assembled & torqued, low strength seal achieved immediately, high strength in 24 hrs.

I doubt this stuff will work "after the fact" unless there is a method to draw the material into the thread plus any contamination might effect cure.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

And, I suppose the external thread of the existing pipe has a left hand thread?

NOT!

This (below) is one really off the mark writing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One answer is to call the bumbleheads back, and ask them to redo the job. Of course, this might not work any better the second time.

I know of no after the assembly sealant. Wish I did, I coulda used it myself a few times.

At this point, the repair is considerable work. Dissemble the pipe from the union to where the leak is. It's also possible to take the elbow out with a sawzall, and dissemble some pipe. Replace a length of pipe with two shorter pieces, and another union.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As far as I know, there is NO such thing as a left hand pipe thread or fitting. It was a troll posting that. Not to mention, EVEN if there were such a thing, both ends would surely not tighten up at the same time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I am surprised that we got this far into this thread and nobody has pointed out pipe dope and teflon tape is there as a lubricant, not a sealant. It allows you to get the pipe tight enough for a good metal to metal seal. Any of these "after the fact" solutions are just a hack that may fail later and blow up your house. If you ever saw a gas explosion you would not even think about doing this. It will turn your house into kindling spread around the neighborhood.

Reply to
gfretwell