Ancestry (was Syock)

>> >I found myself on mylife.com. Some of the information was accurate, some >> >of it wasn't. I was fascinated to learn that they think I might be a >> >sex offender, although they probably list that for every profile. >> > >> >Cindy Hamilton >> >> Are you the Cindy Hamilton on Ancestry with the Speer family, John >> Fred Speer and Jane? (the Indian) >> We may be cousins > >No. I'm not that Cindy Hamilton > >[The Other] Cindy Hamilton

OK I was just curious when I saw the name pop. We seem to have the same problem Pocahontas has. The Cherokee don't seem to believe Jane Nutt (1800-1870) was an indian. I already knew that because I had seen the paperwork written in 1933 telling my dad he wasn't 1/16. My sister went to her grave arguing that she was an indian. So does my niece. Why is it women who have such a hard time accepting this. Indians treated their squaws terribly. I was surprised that virtually every one of my ancestors came here in the 1700s. I have revolutionary war veterans, 1812 veterans and Civil War veterans on both sides.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can't be sure. Why do women who believe in reincarnation think they were Cleopatra in a previous life?

I'm convinced I was a Chinese peasant in a previous life, just on the statistics.

I probably do, too. My mother is into genealogy, but I really have no interest in it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

I was not really that interested myself until I actually started looking and found out how much I "knew" that was wrong. The assumption always was that a significant number of us were fairly recent immigrants (100-150 years ago) but the reality is every one I have tracked came here in the 1700s or before. One of the lines I thought would be easy, turned out to dead end in 1827 but virtually every other branch I have been able to get back to a boat. (The oldest couple in the late 1600s) They pretty much all are British Isles people (England, Scotland Ireland). The German is the one I can't get to a boat and I still have my Indian who just falls out of the sky. She either eloped with a white guy and was banished by her family or something else strange happened. I am waiting for the DNA. If it doesn't come back 94% UK, a splash of German and maybe some Indian, somebody was seeing a pony express rider on the side ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

I am sure that of the 35 or so English names I have identified I am sure most of them would have a coat of arms on a web site somewhere, particularly if you pay them to get it ;-) Something tells me these people were not that rich or they would have sat tight in their castle in England.

Reply to
gfretwell

I bet they have a mug with your authentic coat of arms on it ... in stock, they promise.

Reply to
gfretwell

That looks right.

Reply to
gfretwell

My coat of arms is a ripped, scruffy, used WWII battle jacket with a surprise under it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

HAAA sorta...