Amazon orders 100,000 electric delivery trucks,

Phone is a pain for me to type on. On a keyboard, I learned touch typing in high school. On a tablet I have to hunt for letters but on a keyboard my fingers automatically know where they are. Weird.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Where I hike mine all do and I don?t use trails which is why I could well not see anyone for weeks or months.

And a satphone works anywhere.

Yep, and they don?t cost much.

Its nothing like that here.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I use the voice input most of the time.

Yeah, that leaves the desktop for dead.

iOS certainly does.

Yep and with voice input too.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Your original was a claim, not a report, stupid.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You're unusual. But we knew that.

I use my credit card for everything, except at mom & pop places, where I know the fees are burdensome.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You don't have to go to the wilds of Montana for that. The places we like in North Carolina don't have any reliable cell or internet service.

Reply to
gfretwell

That will be difficult. What is the test for literacy? That's been a problematic question.

It's a different group since many were ESL people but when I was in school I worked summers for the NYS Department of Education and one of the tasks was proctoring various exams like the nursing professional exam.

One involved a citizenship exam. There was a paragraph, perhaps 200 words and a series of questions that required parroting points covered in the paragraph. From some of the responses it was clear the person didn't have a clue and could not comprehend the paragraph or the written question.

If the material had been presented in their native language there may have been no problem whatsoever. Are they literate or not? I'm completely illiterate in Farsi.

Reply to
rbowman

I never learned to touch type although I've been working on keyboards for over 40 years. I do fairly well although Mavis what's her nme would be horrified.

A friend who was working remotely was having trouble with his computer and asked me to try some commands. The legends on almost all the keys on his keyboard are worn off and I had to hunt up another keyboard for reference. I'm not hunting and pecking but there's some sort of subliminal thing going on where I'm visually picking up the pattern.

Reply to
rbowman

I question my sanity when I find myself talking to the cat. Damned if I'll talk to an electronic device. I'm not very verbal anyway.

Reply to
rbowman

I never claimed to be representative of the general population -- thank sweet Jesus.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't always color between the lines depending on the terrain. Some areas are fairly open pine and doug fir without cliff formations to avoid. Others have suffered from 50 years of fire suppression and you're picking your way through a sea of deadfall. If there's a trail in that situation I use it.

Like everything else it all depends on your local area. Southern AZ, the Ocala NF in Florida, the Cumberlands on the VA/KY border, the Greens in VT, the Whites in NH, they all have their unique features. Even Brown County in Indiana is a whole different bag than the endless soy fields around Ft. Wayne.

Long ago I decided if I died in the back country it would beat dying in a nursing home. The bears would have a meal and all would be good.

Reply to
rbowman

But not for his silly claim about that measure of literacy,

And those with poor vision who are quite capable of reading with glasses etc,

That's a completely different measure of literacy to Frank's stupid claim.

I am completely illiterate in all but english.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The biggest advantage with cash for a mom and pop is they can slide some cash in their pocket and not tell the tax man. The lousy 2% CC companies usually charge is less than the cost of handling cash for most companies, particularly larger ones who have to pay someone to handle it and have the problem that there may be some shrinkage or other kinds of theft. The less cash you have on hand, the lower your attractiveness for robbers.

Reply to
gfretwell

We were over at my FILs last weekend and my wife was trying to find the Notre Dame football game on TV. She screwed with the remote for a few minutes looking through the guide of 400 channels before he snatched it away from her and said "USA Channel" The game popped up. I told her "You just need to know how to talk to these things".

Reply to
gfretwell

The main reason I use the credit card for almost everything is the cash back. It runs from 1 to 5 % depending on the card and business. For Lowes it is an automatic 5 % at the register.

I often ask if they will give a discount for cash instead of a card. If they do , I pay by cash or check. Sometime I have to do a quick check in my head on items that are over $ 1000 to see what is best.

Just bought a car on credit. I could pull the money out of an IRA, but it would cost me added tax and other money. My credit union beat the car dealer on interist so went with them. A couple of years ago the car I bough had zero interist,so financed it for the maximum ammount of time I could for the same reason.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You're a dinosaur. Its by far the best way with a bedside clock if you wear glasses, you don?t even have to roll over to look at it.

You don?t need to be. Even you should be able to manage "Alexa time"

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You may be pretty close to being representative of the old Montana guy. (not necessarily the new guy from Frisco, looking for Starbucks tho).

Reply to
gfretwell

They ran out of coins here for a while and they wanted to round everything up, another vote for electronic payment.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sort of the opposit around here for a while. Some places only took cash or checks. Another mom and pop gas and small store only takes cash or debit cards, but not credit cards. I had to get a debit card just to get gas there if I did not have money on me.

How did the coin shortage hapen ? Looks like with all the credit card usage there should be plenty of coins. How long does a coin last ? The it may be like me. I often pitch the coins in a bowl at home and never seem to take them out and put them in my pocket.

Just to get rid of them I put a bunch of quarters in my 18 year old's Christmas present one time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Picky, picky. Others are intelligent enough to get my drift.

Reply to
invalid unparseable