Aluminum threshold on cement floor

I've been asked to anchor aluminum threshold for commercial doors. About six inches wide, and runs the width of two 36 inch steel doors. One half of the threshold is loose, and needs maybe four or so anchors.

Some how, I remember some blue anchors that look a bit like drywall screws, but have really aggressive threads. Anyone know what I need for the job?

Where to find these? Lowe's? Need flat head, so as not to be a trip hazard. Can't have hex heads.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They are called "concrete screws"

I use them all the time and they are great. Most any H/W store will have them. (They come in either flat head or hex head)

BTW: Don;t get the ones made out of concrete though (yes another one of my stupid jokes)

Reply to
philo

Whew. Glad they are available. Are they near the lead free lead anchors?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

More than likely next to the snow tires... get 'em before they melt.

Reply to
philo

I'll use them while I'm with my blow up doll, and my roller skate, and my air compressor, and my ball joint.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The brand I use are called Tapcons. Pre-drill the concrete using a masonry bit of the correct size and lubricate the screws with bees wax.

Reply to
The Streets

The most comman brand is "tap-con"

Reply to
clare

As others have said, Tapcon is a common brand of concrete screws. If you haven't used them before, you might want to try them in a similar situation to your job before you try them in "real life".

There are 2 types. Flatheads, for which you should countersink the threshold, and hex head which will end up with the head proud of the threshold. You might not want that, unless there's a track or groove that will keep them below the surface.

One key tip: Tapcons are essentially a one shot deal. If you spin them in too fast you can strip the hole. Once you do that, you can't use that hole again unless you fill it with epoxy or something. You also usually can't loosen the fastener and tighten it again. Concrete isn't as forgiving as wood in that regard. It's basically "a screw them down tight and leave them alone" operation.

I mention all this because the fasteners will be visible. If you mess one up, you might have to drill another hole in the threshold which will also be visible.

Check out this video:

DerbyDad03

Aaaahhh , beeswax ! Great idea , thanks . BTW Chris , when you drive these use a brand new bit in your screw gun . They turn tough and if you cam the bit outta the socket yer screwed .

Reply to
Snag

Use epoxy instead of beeswax. It lubricates on the way in, and helps prevent pullout later - - - - -.

Reply to
clare

They come in a kit with the required carbaloy bit.

Reply to
clare

Have to see if I can find those. Wonder if they come in flat head? Don't want big cap heads, that will stick up over the surface of the threshold.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Score! Online video training. Best reply yet, thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wonder where I'd get bees wax?

And, yes, the new screw driver bit is also a great idea. I've heard that thunk-thunk-thunk noise a few times.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Tapcons (brand of concrete screw) come in blue or black AFAIK. IMO, either is going to look crummy in a threshold; not only becuse of the color but because the head will stick up slightly unless you are able to perfectly countersink them, not always an easy task on thin aluminum.

Let me ask you, how was the threshold originally attached? I'd try to do it the same way. One way that is common is to lay down a piece of PT, tapcon it in and attach the threshold to it with smaller wood screws.

Reply to
dadiOH

One of the best things to turn in tapcons is a brace with appropriate bit...plenty of leverage, lets you turn in slow and to the proper torque, That's particulatry important with a threshold because if you torque too much you are going to deform the (probably) hollow threshold (unless it has a support under it).

Reply to
dadiOH

I use "saw wax" cutting lubricant which looks like a big chap stick and can be pushed out of the tube from one end. I keep a stick in the toolbox to lube all sorts of cutting tools, drills, self tapping screws and even drawer slides and sliding windows. You can find it or a similar product wherever cutting tools and drills bits are sold. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've seen those wax sticks, but never quite connected in my mind. Sadly, as a Mormon, I've been smoking, off the side of a circle saw blade. So, the saw wax may get multiple uses, after I finish power screwing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not totally sure, how the original fasten. I do see silver phillips flat head screws on the original side. Beyond that, not sure.

It's a back door of a store, no customers will see it, we hope.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm old enough to know what is a "bit brace". Don't have one, and not one with phillips tip. The drill driver on slow, bees wax, and new tip will maybe do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon