Air Conditioner- fix or place?

We have not even decided that you really have a problem other than a little spritz of gas. I would throw up to a pound or so of freon in it (whatever it takes to get in the box on the recharge chart) and reassess next season.

Reply to
gfretwell

I've tried renaming posts, in the hopes people would comment under the correct subject line. Nothing appears to help.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sigh. I have been in the trade for years, offer my finest counsel, and get ignored. I guess after this many comments, if no one picked up on my world class wisdom, there isn't much hope. I look forward to a thread on "I had the guy with the 20 point check put in eight pounds of freon and it still doesn't work properly, what should I do now". Then, I will beat my head on the monitor, cry, and go back to bed. I'll sob until my pillow is wet, and consider taking up drinking again.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Weren't Churchill's warnings ignored before WWII?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, and I am complimented that you compared me to such a great man.

I further predict that Windows will continue to be profitable, and Apple will increase market share.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I told him similar. I thought his question was addressed very well. While I agree that a "soft start" kit has nothing to do with it, it's not unusual for threads like this to cover other topics too. If he has more questions, he can ask. And having some data, like I measured a temp delta of X between the return and registers, which we suggested he measure, would be a good idea.

Reply to
trader_4

. Not being in the trade, but I did have to make sure the electrical parts of some refrigeration equipment where I worked I learned a little about them. From your experiance, in home system similar to what we are talking about (say a 2 to 3 ton unit and about 6 to 8 lb of refregrence) how low can the system get on the 'freon' before it freezes up the outside of the coils ? I know this will depend on the temperature and humidity but there should be a general idea.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

A lot depends on air flow, and some of that. No really definite rules.

Some techs joke about home heat "it's always the thermostat" and home AC where it's always low on freon.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

trader_4 posted for all of us...

No he can not! Ever

Reply to
Tekkie®

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

Stumped has NONE!

Reply to
Tekkie®

I've got experience! I mean, I'm ALMOST TWELVE, and I can read.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't care what you think. Mommy loves me.

She said so when I was three.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I spoke with a local reputable company. They said that the AC should not b e refilled if there is a leak. Leaking coolant is toxic. I asked if coola nt could naturally dissipated over the years. They said not that much. I asked the original company about checking for the leak. They said that was not part of their inspection and the coolant could have dissipated over th e years, but they were hot to just add more coolant.

Something is fishy here.

Reply to
buddygenki

said that the AC should not be refilled if there is a leak. Leaking coolant is toxic. I asked if coolant could naturally dissipated over the years. They said not that much. I asked the original company about checking for the leak. They said that was not part of their inspection and the coolant could have dissipated over the years, but they were hot to just add more coolant.

As a local, reputable company, I suggest you go back and read the posts I already made. It is very possible the system doesn't have a refrigerant level problem. And if it does, other things need to be done first.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

be refilled if there is a leak. Leaking coolant is toxic. I asked if coo lant could naturally dissipated over the years. They said not that much. I asked the original company about checking for the leak. They said that w as not part of their inspection and the coolant could have dissipated over the years, but they were hot to just add more coolant.

What's fishy? I posted this a week ago:

"Since it looks like it may just be low on refrigerant, I'd get a different company out to check it out, look for leaks, and if the leak is just at the valves, or they can't find a leak, then top it off. At the least, he'd likely get another year out of it and see what happens. If you get another year, possibly more for maybe $250, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. "

Gfre posted similar advice. The toxic part is basically BS.

Reply to
trader_4

I had a reputable company come out and check. Right off the bat (in about

5 minutes) after taking the caps off, there was a hissing sound and they sa id the Shrader valve had a leak. He replaced two of them. Did all of his checks. Added a couple of pounds of coolant (at $12 a lb). Now it is work ing fine, for under $250.

My question would be, shouldn't the first company have found this leak? It seems pretty obvious. Their "20 point check" includes checking the servic e value. Is the service valve the same as the shrader valve?

Reply to
buddygenki

t 5 minutes) after taking the caps off, there was a hissing sound and they said the Shrader valve had a leak. He replaced two of them. Did all of hi s checks. Added a couple of pounds of coolant (at $12 a lb). Now it is wo rking fine, for under $250.

It seems pretty obvious. Their "20 point check" includes checking the serv ice value. Is the service valve the same as the shrader valve?

From my first two posts:

"The cost of R22 has varied, looks like it's about $10/lb now. $50/lb seems OK if it needs a pound or two, but $400 for 8 pounds seems excessive to me too. But before getting to that, it needs to be determined what's leaking. If it's one of the schrader valves, it's a $1 fix. If it's the evaporator, may be time for a new system. But I wouldn't trust a guy that won't even answer questions."

"Since it looks like it may just be low on refrigerant, I'd get a different company out to check it out, look for leaks, and if the leak is just at the valves, or they can't find a leak, then top it off. At the least, he'd likely get another year out of it and see what happens. If you get another year, possibly more for maybe $250, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. "

And yes, the Schrader valves and service valves are the same thing, the first company should have found them and from what I've heard so far, they appear to be shysters. Refrigerant leaking from the valves is common and easy to identify.

Reply to
trader_4

It's been a while, but I do believe a shrader valve is one part of a service valve. Actually, with back seating valve, they might have gage ports, but no schrader valve.

In any case, it's a simple thing to check.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The schrader valve is a type like goes on car tire. When th ehose is connected it pushes a plunger in so the vapor can go in. It self seals when the hose is removed. Most small ACs that have a service valve will have that kind of valve.I am not sure the ones on the AC are actually Schrader valves, but just similar to them and called Schrader.

The larger systems often have the more of a manual type of valve. The port to hook up the hose is just a fitting. The actual valve is made so it can be forward/reverse seating or put in the middle for servicing and charging the system.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

8 lb is a lot. On most systems that would be a full charge. A reputable c ompany would not put 8 lbs in without finding the leak first. I think they were trying to rip you off. $50 a lb is a bit high too. I just priced a 30lb can at $325.

Most split ac systems use schrader valves but they are special valves for h vac that handle the higher pressure and wide temp range. Otherwise they lo ok the same as the tire ones and you could even use them in a tire. There are valves as well but they isolate the outside unit from the lines.

Reply to
jamesgang