Adding a vent to my shop's waste line when putting in a shower

Looking for advice on whether I need to add a vent to the waste line downstream of the toilet (~3') where the new shower will tie in. A few feet upstream from the toilet is the sink and the vent for the waste line tees in there . I'm figuring I need to but I'm going to have to move a heater and wreck some sheetrock on the other side of the wall if I do. Any ideas? Thanks Rick

Reply to
rickoshea1955

Yes, you really should tie the shower drain back to the vent stack, downstream of the shower trap.

But...in this case, you might get away with a mechanical vent or "air-admittance" valve:

Oatey makes one too.

If it matters, find out if the town will accept a mechanical vent.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

thanks, I'll tie it in!! :(

Reply to
rickoshea1955

Horizontal wet venting (i.e., using the horizontal drain line as part of the vent stack) is bad mojo. Usually against codes, too. You'll want to at least route a vent from near your shower tie-in over to the vent stack by the sink (or just go straight up through the roof...but that's typically a lot more work).

Reply to
Andy Hill

I was under the impression that the toilet must be downstream of the other fixtures in a bathroom, am I mistaken?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

When each fixture is individually vented, it doesn't matter. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim