Actual LED TVs? do they exist? (2023 Update)

Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I can't find any such thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You mean like these:

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

Anonymous

Usually called O-LED

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I left out "over the air broadcasters".

Reply to
AK

There are other sources though. You can cast from your computer too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

An the human eye can only distinguish so much of resolution. Similar to camera megapixels. For average size photos, the human eye can't view beyond 6 megapixels, some can see 8. The difference is during enlarging when they become noticeable.

Reply to
Hawk

Only some of those, the more expensive organic LED ones, are that. The full array LED TVs just use LEDs for backlighting, not for generating the colors.

No more Sony crap for me. I had one of their $2000 LCD TVs, it lasted about

4 years, then the cable that's bonded to the panel started to separate, resulting in first just a bad line or two, then progressive picture loss. I googled, found it was a common problem, lots of pissed off customers. I took it apart, managed to do so gluing and retrofitting to try to push against it, keep it in contact. That worked for about 3 months. Sony offered a couple hundred bucks off one of their new TVs as their idea of how to make up for it. I said screw you, Thanksgiving Black Friday I picked up a Westinghouse 55" at target. Four years later, it's still perfect and the picture is perfectly fine, I don't miss the Sony baloney.

I also had one of their home theater systems that failed after just a few years too. That was weird too. The inputs went, one at a time. When it first stopped working I switched from electrical to optical and that worked for another year or so. Then that input went, I think I switched again and then none worked.

Reply to
trader_4

At TV size you can see 4K and 8K quite easily.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Agreed. Sony is like BMW. Overpriced and badly designed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite shitty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will long before your new 4K TV wears out.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You must have missed my followup post where I specified over the air stations.

I don't think TV stations are in any hurry to spend the big bucks to go to the ATSC 3.0 standard.

It took forever to go to digital.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I seem to recall that there was a problem with overheating and differing efficiencies and light vs current curves of the colours. Also the colours may look right but often were not. I don't know what the likes of Sony are doing but I guess it depends on subjective factors. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Before long any 4K broadcast or stream will be so lossy compressed it will not be better quality than SD broadcasts of the past.

Reply to
alan_m

Large TV sets are on offer with OLED technology. 55 inch, 65 inch, prices to match.

There are a limited number of OLED substrate suppliers. It appears the materials are modular enough, to scale up the design.

There are different types as well. QD is Quantum Dot.

"Quantum dots have properties intermediate between bulk semiconductors and discrete atoms or molecules. Their optoelectronic properties change as a function of both size and shape"

"Another pain-point for LG will be that Samsung's QD-OLED will actually use the "problematic" blue pixel as its light source and use red and green QD colour filters that in theory, decrease the chance of burn-in. If Samsung's QD-OLED is able to achieve this, and avoid burn-in, the panels will actually be able to show "true colours" as it will not use white pixel filters."

It appears the writers of these articles have taken a few too many "drama classes" in school.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I've got a camcorder with an OLED screen which got fainter and fainter and redder and redder until now I can only see it in a darkened room.

Reply to
Max Demian

Not from a broadcast feed you didn't. That was streaming over your phone line. Only SKY broadcast 4K, afaik.

Reply to
Andrew

I had a mobile phone a while ago that was OLED. Probably very low power but had terrible image burn.

Reply to
Fredxx

But still not broadcast, only available with decent broadband

Reply to
Andrew

You get what you pay for. Eurosport SD is shit, probably to make you pay for HD.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey