Subject Author Posted Replies

OT phone bill taxes...
... Indeed. And for all the furor the Washington Post and others make over farm payments, crop insurance subsidies, etc., the _total_ of all direct farm payments and subsidies is only about 15% of the...
4
4

tile over greenboard around a tub
I have googled for this info, but all I can find are articles preaching that this is completely unaceptable.. Since 1) I have had bathrooms in 5 houses over the last 35 years with drywall backer and...
4
4

Blinking Oil Light On Cub Cadet
The light kept blinking. Oil level was full and very clean; in fact, the unit had just been thru its very thorough annual servicing just two months earlier. And so it went to the shop where they...
49
49

Protecting shingle overhang?
On the front and back of my garage the shingles overhand the edge of the roof by a few inches. Is there a standard way to support this edge so that a ladder can be used without crushing the shingles?...
22
22

OT: Coffee and #$%@$Keurig
I like coffee and I drink a fair amount. I'm not that fussy. I drink it black, no flavor, nothing added, you get the picture. I enjoy the occasional esspresso and would drink it more if it was...
47
47

"House Hunters:" Subjects say it's fake
3
3

Wet coming up on hardwood
My boyfriend and I just bought a 1910 house. We did this actually expecting a LOT of work, but this has us scratching our heads: We spent part of the weekend ripping up carpet, because it smelled of...
8
8

Vibration in water pipes
I have a unique situation where my hot water heater is fed by city water @ 60psi, and my cold water comes from a well at 30-45psi. I have a pressure compensating shower valve, it is designed so that...
15
15

Reapiring Hi-Macs
Putting in a Hi-Macs top on a bathroom vanity. The corner got chipped, exposing the fiber matrix underneath. Is there a way to repair this, or do I need to toss the top out and start again?
1
1

Funny OT: Man Wants Visitation Rights For SOLD Car!!!
Man posts reward ad on Craigslist looking for lost car he sold years ago. Says he sold car, but now wants visitation rights!? LOL! "I have to get her back, or get visitation rights or something". -...
7
7

Electric paint sprayers
I saw an article on paint sprayers and wondered based on your experience, which are the best for home use and why? I know most serious painters don't consider electric but I figure just for home use,...
8
8

The History of the Broom
"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom?humble, deceptively simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners?does not often enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household...
4
4

Erratic leaf blower
My 18 year old leaf blower, an ancient Sears model, ran great until recently. It starts fine, it runs at full power just great, but when I turn down the throttle, it stalls. It then is almost...
6
6

bid for texturing ceiling
If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and it's 1800 square foot, what would you say? How many man...
14
14

Blackish blue copper pipes?
Hi All, I live in Northern Nevada. Had to take a trip under the house. I noticed that all my fresh water copper pipes are covered, elbows and all, with some very dark blue compound, as if they were...
15
15