Subject Author Posted Replies

Do you know whether quiet rock will block out the following noise?
The person who lives in the apartment above me has been venting on me by do= ing things like constantly dropping objects, rolling things, throwing boxes= etc. I can only take this to mean that I am...
9
9

Clear or translucent roof panels
Several years ago I installed a row of clear or translucent (can't remember which -- now looks translucent) roof panels on a pole barn. Recently I've noticed that where this panel passes over the...
7
7

Can I Bullnose Porcelain Tile With A Belt Sander?
I'm thinking of covering a concrete stoop with 12" x 12" porcelain tile. The stoop has one ~13" x 5' step up to a 4' x 5' slab. Therefore there are 2 risers. I want to bullnose the edges of the step...
9
9

Fire resistant construction -- not needing repair
It's not that difficult really, as long as you keep trees cleared back far enough to eliminate the threat of a burning tree falling directly onto the house, the remaining threat is from small blowing...
6
6

sill plate attachment on old construction?
How were sill plates attached to concrete foundations in older (60 years in this case) construction? I'm just tearing into a 12' rotted-out section of exterior wall in the workshop and the sill plate...
4
4

Don't invest in solar power
While solar power seems to be a form of free energy, after the initial investment for equipment, dont do it! The reason is that in less than one year, the Sun is going to burn out. Without the sun,...
22
22

WTH? Should I buy a Volt?
I just got a letter that says my village (Morton Grove, IL) contracted with an electrical supplier to provide juice that ComEd was providing. Effective rate goes from 8.5 cents per kwh to 4.42. If I...
15
15

Gasket Material
Anybody remember casaco, or kasako, or casako, or kasaco? Don't know the spelling, but that's what it was called. Disturbing I can't find it on the net. Wondering if I'm crazy. Used on low pressure,...
1
1

Power Strip Installation - Mounting Screw Alignment
To view the source video/project: http://dirtyshirt.info/houses_power_strip_install.html Have you ever struggled to line up the mounting screws and holes when installing a power strip? We show you how...
8
8

OT: Stockton CA to file for bankruptcy, will be largest U.S. city to fail
Colorado on fire, Florida (like half of all US home owners) under water. Detroit threatening to go under for months, but here comes Stockton to do it first. Texas without enough electricity. US troops...
35
35

Wall Outlets with USB connectors
In the electrical dept at a building supply store, I saw for the first time electrical outlets that fit in a standard box, and they contain one regular AC outlet and two USB connectors. The package...
114
114

outdoor grease lubricant
I had to oil up a latch on a wooden fence gate today and I decided to lubricate the latch mechanism with some wd-40. I was originally thinking of using some petroleum jelly for better longevity but...
41
41

Question about Benjamin Moore Natura Paint- seems like it scratches easy? Easily prone to indentations
Hi in my living room I have Benjamin Moore Natura Paint- atrium white.. THe= window sill has been primed properly and painted.. However, 9 months later= - the sill is very easy to scratch. I have some...
2
2

Radon in ranch style house - NE Ohio
Just got our buyer's inspection report, which shows 7.1 pC/l average radon level during 48-hour test. The house is a ranch, built on a slab (no crawl space, no basement). Remediation contractor will...
14
14

How to Run Your House Solely on Solar Power
The real question might be, why wouldn't anyone want to convert the family homestead to function off the sun's rays? Sounds like quite the formula for happiness, right? The truth is, deciding to go...
6
6