Subject Author Posted Replies

Alternative to insecticides
I prefer to avoid using insecticides indoors because of the health risks they impose. Recently I was using some cleaner called "Orange Blast". It's one of those orange cleaners that you can buy almost...
11
11

Using the old "White" 12-2 Romex (2024 Update)
I recently bought a roll of the old "White" 12-2 w/ground romex at an auction. The price was right and electrically the color dont matter. The stuff is new and in excellent condition. I dont recall...
36
36

House-Key is stuck in door lock
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but, being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded. The...
10
10

I know this is OT but..............
I know this is OT but.............. I just had to share this. This pre-race dance routine will be talked about for years to come. The best part about all of this may not even be the dancing -...
1
1

Set-points on a programmable thermostat
What does a "Cool" set-point of 90 degrees mean? What does a "Heat" set-point of 82 degrees mean?
5
5

Sevin 32oz Squeeze-&-Pour bottle: Bad design?
This is the red bottle of concentrate where you squeeze the bottom chamber to fill the upper 3-oz "measure" chamber. Works fine, but suppose you have /more/ than 3-oz of product you want to put back...

drop cord length
I've heard that there is a limited to the distance that a drop cord for power equipment can be used. Beyond that limit there is risk to damage the equipment being used. If this is true, what is this...
9
9

Animal in attic
So last night I heard an animal in my attic, scratching and clawing vigorously on the wood attic floor. Not really sure of the best plan of attack here. Don't know what animal it is yet. A walk around...
31
31

OT: Ideas for eliminating odors from a car?
Although this is car related, the odor was caused by critters around my house. I live in the country on the edge of the woods so I have lots of critters such as squirrels, chipmunks and of course...
14
14

Roofing prices
I've received three estimates to remove two old layers and add a new layer to my 3400 sq ft roof on a ranch house in central New Jersey. Company A: $11,940.00, GAF Timberline Lifetime shingles. Gave...
62
62

OT - When does a rental car become a stolen vehicle?
I'm going to be renting a car for a family vacation. I am trying to find the cheapest way to add my wife and 2 sons as operators and ensure that our private insurance will cover any accidents...
82
82

can't remove tub spout
I'm trying to replace my old tub spout, but can't get the darned thing off.= There's no set screw, so I assume it's the screw-on type. I applied quit= e a bit of torque with a big wrench, but the...
8
8

Can I repair these blasted screen corners (mine broke while removing - see picture)?
I was too rough with screen removal with the result being busted screen corners: than glue, is this something that I can fix with a replacement part? (I don't even know the googling term for these...
9
9

Ceiling fan repair -- bad capacitor
A friend of mine was asked to repair a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan. He was told that the pull chain for the fan switch had pulled out and was missing. When he opened it up, it was true that the chain...
31
31

Single handle Watts Laundry valve developed stem leak, Is running in midway position the cause?
To be clear, the old valve still leaked tonight even when turning it all the way on after it started leaking. It would only stop leaking altogether when shut off. I'm just wondering if running it in...
12
12