Subject Author Posted Replies

caulk - flowing
I'm looking for a brand name. Window installers use a sticky caulk on my windows that is still holding up. It "flows". Silicone is compliant - good for compression but can fail in tension. Hard...
7
7

There is Truth to Blonde Jokes
While I thought most blonde jokes were just jokes, because I have met some very smart and intelligent blondes. However, I just met one of those that the jokes are made for....... A friend came over to...
4
4

Painting pressure treated lumber
I've read you have to delay painting PT lumber from everywhere from two weeks to a year. Latex paint... What's the deal? And, how does one tell if PT wood is ready to be painted? It feels quite wet...
31
31

OT: Scam the scammers LOL
much. funny. "24 Minutes" - Please distribute to friends - don't get caught out! (Music used) Video link to Orbital performing at Paralympics opening ceremony with Professor Stephen Hawkings - "Where...
1
1

How do you reward yourself?
Hi everyone, Just finished my weekend project, a DIY rain barrel. It's not a major project, but it's worth the time and effort in making it. It would store an ample volume of water for the garden. Now...
14
14

treadmill stops after 1 second
hi folks, my treadmill has been in storage for a few months, i took it out for use & = found it stops about a second after the motor starts turning (with no load = on belt) the problem is intermittant...
10
10

Quiet low profile ceiling fan?
I like to have a fan blowing on me while I sleep. I do not like the noise of the fan I use now even when I have it on the low speed. Can I buy a quiet, low profile, ceiling fan? My ceiling is only...
16
16

Chucking 1" conduit in a 1/2" drill
There are probably a dozen ways to do this but everything that pops in my head seems clumbsy. I'd rather not have to weld anything. I've got a 'claw' digging tool fastened to the other end of a 10'...
27
27

Winterizing trailers
I've been asked to "winterize" a dozen or so trailers, at a camp site that is only used in the summer. The trailers are one or possibly two bedroom, with water and electric and sewer hook ups. What...
39
39

jMortar vs. grout vs. "tube stuff"
Awl -- I've got a lot of patching to do on stone walls, slate tile joints, caps for stone walls, etc. The diff. between grout and mortar is here: which I presume I could use grout for finer cracks on...
4
4

Little Black Flies....how to get rid of them?
I've had a problem with these little black flies on and off for about the past year. They are small, about the size of drosopila/fruit flies, but seems a little too small and agile to be the same....
14
14

bathtub drain replacement
I had an old fiberglass bathtub that cracked so am replacing and noticed that the drain seemed to have a small leak as there is a little bit of build up at the joint as you can see in the photo. So I...
10
10

Husqvarna 455R question
I am always tightening chain. I forget what model and size I have, but the labels do slide off. Always start fast, but I need to watch more on gas storage. Greg
7
7

electric pencil sharpener on the fritz. How to fix?
I have this old (good old) Hunt-Boston pencil sharpener, in the old style (like the original panasonic ones of decades or a half-century ago): 8" long, 3.5" wide and tall. Usual mechanism: three...
6
6

Need light weight Christmas sleigh & Reindeer
I am thinking ahead for Christmas. I would like to animate a Santa, sleigh and reindeer. The name of the game is very light weight, like styrofoam, in the neighborhood of about 10 - 12" high. Anyone...
2
2