Subject Author Posted Replies

OT? Changing a tire without a jack
There are a few clever folks on this list- Wondering how many knew about this trick, or think it is just 'Hollywood. On this weeks Homeland, the guy got a flat on the front of a newish SUV. no jack....
23
23

Redwood posts
4 x 4 redwood posts are bolted to the straps in concrete piers. When replacing the posts, how can I prevent the bottom of the posts from deteriorating/rotting?
13
13

Light kit for Hampton Bay ceiling fan
(I no longer have the instruction manual for my Hampton Bay ceiling fan). I've replaced all 4 light-bulb sockets and the 2-wire chain pull-switch. I've connected one wire from each socket to the white...
12
12

Ceiling fan light-kit
I no longer have the instruction manual for my Hampton Bay ceiling fan. I've replaced all 4 light-bulb sockets and the 2-wire chain pull-switch. Ive connected one wire from each socket to the white...
1
1

How long should Refrigerator Evaporator Fan Motors Last?
I had a freezer air circulating fan go out, but the freezer was 30 +years old at the time. Five years seems pretty short. Did you try oiling the motor after you removed it from the freezer???
8
8

Exterior wood protection?
Before it gets too cold I would like to get at least some paint on all the exterior wood I've put up: pressure treated fencing, T1-11 gates, plywood planters (approx 1.5 x 1 x 3'). As far as paint...
10
10

How far can you drive your car with all the lug nuts removed?
How far can you drive your car with all the lug nuts removed? This is a real challenge. Remove all the lug nuts from all the tires on your car. Get in the car, and drive. How far can you drive without...
26
26

Can You Spot The Irony?
Current headlines from the center-column of the DrudgeReport: ============ Cross-dressing fake nurse targeting elderly in Florida. Doctors 'Intentionally Concealed' Decapitation Of Baby During...
1
1

Etching a concrete Garage
I will be etching with muriatic acid dilution my new concrete garage floor prior to epoxy application. How long after etching can I wait until I epoxy the floor. Assuming I keep it etching have a life...
5
5

Do bags, open containers of mortar/concrete/plaster go bad?
Assuming they are still dry, of course. A local home center guy said yes, prolonged exposure to air renders it unusable. How old is old? How to test? My own little spot tests (small mounds on a board)...
17
17

OT neighbor
Hello everyone. My husband used to post here, before he passed several years ago. I used to enjoy reading this forum along side of him in the evenings. I have a "what would you do" question. My...
101
101

Follow-up on San Antonio school student RFID tracking
Follow-up on San Antonio school student tracking NBC News had a segment Sunday evening on the school we discussed several days ago that is using RFID tracking. I was wrong. Sorry. They do track the...

fuel cans
Doing a little cleaning out garage. Took all fuel cans outside. Looked at bottoms of old metal kerosene dans, decided to put some rust converter on. I was filling up various polyethylene cans, with...
20
20

Misleading TV Ads
For the past few weeks I've been seeing TV ads for a Bell and Howell "Iscope" Which I agree looks like it really could be a handy tool to have around the house or workshop. But, what gets to me is...
29
29

I didn't need the 4" Hole Saw after all
Some of you may remember my post about looking for an alternative to a 4? hole saw for an exhaust vent. One of the main concerns was trying to cut the hole on a slanted soffit while standing on a...
7
7