Subject Author Posted Replies

Electrical Cord Removal
My daughter's overpriced flat iron uses this exact cord with built-in GFCI/ALCI: cord rotates at the iron, as you can see from the non-plug end. How does the connector disconnect from the iron? I...
4
4

$80 Hammer-- if only it was 1975. . .
If I was 40 years younger and didn't drive nails with air [or use screws when I can] - I'd really be drooling over this. were listed in a made in the USA list someplace. 19 oz, straight claw, waffle...
20
20

Gas Cooktop: Pipe Sealant
I'm going to replace a couple of stuck valves on a gas cooktop. Looks like they just screw into the manifold once the ignitor switches & wiring harness is removed and the manifold is lifted enough to...
9
9

Toilet Flapper valve
Friend has a perfectly good toilet and all the float and flapper assemblies look good but the flapper often refuses to fall into the socket or whatever it's called after the bowl empties. I can't find...
16
16

What do you put on a brown wood door facing the sun & rain?
I've a brown wooden door which is peeling yellowish flakes all over and the bottom floorboard (cherry?) is worn to the bare wood getting wet in the rain. What do you put on this kind of door to...
46
46

OT, I Got Some Horrible News Today
An old friend and customer of me and my brother is dead along with his elderly mother in a murder suicide. Darn it! It's not the first time an event like that has happened and I always wish I'd known...
11
11

OKON PaintBooster water repeller
Hi has anyone used the Okon PaintBooster water repeller product that is sold at Dunns Edwards? They told me it can be mixed with exterior paint to help seal out moisture and prevent mold/mildew from...
1
1

Fastenal Nutsert Update
This is a follow up to an earlier post asking about how to use Fastenal Nut= serts for a repair project. If you missed the first round, the nutserts are= :=20 ordered the nutserts and when they came I...

Engine Stops Dead: More Fun With the Briggs
8 HP B&S engine on my 4.4 kW generator. Vintage 1992. Low hours for its age. The carb is an updraft type with a round fuel bowl surrounding the barrel. I've had more issues with this one B&S engine...
16
16

Do they make holesaw blades for steel doors?
Do they make holesaw blades for steel doors? In order to install a door lock, one needs to make about a 2 inch hole in a door. On a wooden door, a common hole saw works fine. But on a steel door,...
9
9

American Farmers Fight Rise In Hay Thefts
Apparently, it's not enough to be thieving copper in Newark, or looting homes destroyed by hurricanes or forest-fire. What could be lower than stealing hay from desperate farmers?...
77
77

Social Security Number
I was talking on the phone with my cousin today. She has worked as a substitute teacher in several schools. She is between jobs. One of the things she mentioned was that they require her to furnish...
201
201

Heating options for my "now pipeless" 3-story shell property
In a thread that I started on 12/03/2012 (with the subject line "Main Water Supply Line freeze protection"), I wrote about an empty "shell" home that I own that recently had all of the copper pipes...
10
10

Lowes vs. HD....
So far, +5 vs 0. The latest: Had a last min. need for Arbor Vitaes, for some privacy issues. Spent 1/2 hr on the phone -- 30 solid minutes of mostly waiting on hold -- with HD, 4 different people, 2...
94
94

OT: Retired Husband Misbehaves At Target
RETIRED HUSBAND After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Target. Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally...
1
1