Subject Author Posted Replies

WeMo?
I just saw a Belkin product called WeMo at BestBuy. It seems like a wi-fi enabled appliance module for $50. I would be tempted to start replacing X-10 stuff with that if they also had wall switch...
1
1

FakeTV FTV-10 Burglar Deterrent
Cute device to fool burglars and snoops into believing someone is home without using a lot of power and wearing out your TV. ^_^ TDD Amazon.com : FakeTV FTV-10 Burglar Deterrent Television Simulator :...
26
26

convert brick fireplace to tile?
I have a brick fireplace like this: I don't like the bricks -- rough surfaces are hard to clean, and the hearth (brick floor) takes up alot of space. Can the brick hearth be simply pried off and...
8
8

OT: Why Carving Wooden Boats Is So Easy...
I heard a word carver explain why carving wooden boats is so easy: "You start with a piece of wood and then remove anything that doesn't look like a boat." I'm going to try it...I'll let you know how...
7
7

Chicago: 8 school buses stolen, shredded into 'big pile of scrap'
Ah, the saga of urban mining continues in the USA. This time, we're kicking it up a few notches in the tonnage department by "recycling" school buses. And why not - since your kids don't learn...

Why there will be no XL pipeline: Warren Buffett
The pipe is still many times more efficient than using a train to move fuel. I also doubt the rest of the world is ahead of the US in freight trains. It is the passenger train that we do not embrace...
159
159

ridge tile/vent?
hi i'm just looking for some help please,i've got a vent at the top of my roof that has two 5inch pipes coming down from it that then go into the wall that joins my flat to my neighbours,my only...
5
5

3D Printing, A Wonderful New Variation Of The Technology
A very cool application of 3D printing technology that I can see winding up next to crayons and modeling clay in classrooms plus research and design labs too. ^_^ TDD
5
5

New wood floor shrinking over top of HVAC Ducts
Hi-- I installed an engineered maple floor on the main floor of my house, on a subfloor over a basement. This was installed in fall and, over winter, the floor has started to shrink in one specific...
6
6

FINALLY got the HF Miter Saw
The 12" double-bevel, sliding one. Got it unpacked and installed last night. My initial impressions are: * It's built like a tank. VERY sturdy. Sucker weighs over 50 pounds! * It DOES have fine...
9
9

OT Subway flooding
Interesting article about subway floods. New York, London and elsewhere. A Familiar Fear: Flooding & The Underground - London Reconnections

Briggs & Stratton Recalls Ariens Compact Snow Blowers Due to Fire Hazard
Consumers should immediately stop using the product and return it to an authorized Briggs & Stratton dealer for a repair.
4
4

How to remove door closer cover
I have door closer whose pressure I want to adjust. After googling, I determined that it is a surface-mount. The door closer has a plastic cover with 2 holes on each end and one on the bottom. No...
9
9

OT: Newsgroup reader
As I continue my advancement into the technological computer world, I will soon be ridding of my desktop containing Windows XP and Outlook express and joining the laptop and Windows 8 crowd, I am in...
41
41

Key ident help, plz
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL' on...
7
7