Subject Author Posted Replies

Seal electrical boxes with aluminum tape?
I just had some new 100-amp electric service panels put in by a licensed electrician. One is a new house panel in the basement where the old panels were located, and the other two are in the upstairs...
29
29

carpet 'bobbles'
We have an 80/20 carpet in the hall and it's about 4 years old. After initial wear the carpet pile flattened. That's no problem, but now the surface has many 'bobbles' that the sunlight catches and...
13
13

furnace filter
Hello everyone ! I am Elena and I am new here and I want to open a discussion about furnace filter. Yesterday I made a research and found one site about this . I love this topic. I want to talk about...
5
5

Swamp cooler water pump ground
The ground pin of the swamp cooler water pump A/C plug pulled out when I unplugged it to lubricate it for the summer so I have to buy a replacement plug. Being cheap, I deeply regret this expense. My...
7
7

OT Never in America?
Government to take 10% of everyone's money.
40
40

determine magnification of reading glasses
I know what size I need-- and I can try these on to see if they work for me-- But I have 100 or so glasses of varying magnifications and I want to sort and label them. Is there an easy/cheap method of...
20
20

water pipe "upgrade"
Hello all, House has got a 3/4 copper running from the meter to just a few feet under the crawl space. It then reduced to a 1/2 inch. Pressure and flow is there but a hair weak when I had more than...
17
17

OT: Computer power supplies and you guys being smarter than I...
I'm trying to determine if I've oversized my power supply for a brand new build, and I'm using a kill-a-watt type meter to do so. Anyone know just how accurate these meters are when it comes to power...
31
31

OT- Electric Blanket Controls Backwards
I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems intuitively backwards. When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see...
14
14

Ceramic nonstick pans
What is the best value in ceramic nonstick frying pans? My brother bought some white ones on eBay and the nonstick performance is not very good at all. Food does stick and it is impossible to wipe...
33
33

rechargeable batteries
What type of rechargeable battery ( D cell ) would work best for year round outdoor use (s.e. michigan) in a critter cam device? Thanks, cj
18
18

OT Used car "Test Drive"
I have to think it is a fake setup, but still cool to watch.
2
2

Can you run a stand alone ground wire from the panel to a junction box?
Without going into all the details about no free breakers, location of junction boxes, finished ceilings, etc., I'm looking for a "yes it's code" or "no it's not code" answer to this question: There's...
12
12

Stihl 025 Chain Saw debugging
Jeez, borrowed my father-in-law's chain saw last fall working just fine. Tried to start it a couple of days ago, nothing. The saw is fairly new so it isn't old age it is the idiot operator. 1....
8
8

How much does it cost to heat "corned beef brisket" for 2 hours at 350 degrees?
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F. Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts? We...
41
41