Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric Stove
I have a mostly still good electric range with burners on the top - not the new flat top kind. Anyway, one of the elements came loose from the part t hat holds it together so I ordered a new one. Now...
13
13

Replacing doorbell with intercom?
Hello, I have a normal doorbell. I'd like to replace it with something that rings a bell and allows for communication with the door closed. Does an intercom typically require more wiring than a...
3
3

Wiring problem - looking for advice
"We can't keep wire in the ground to save our lives" The new normal in the USA. A country eating itself alive, consuming any and all public and private infrastructure. Urban Mining. Will the last...
1
1

I want to build a house for a Redneck
I want to build a house for a Redneck. Where should I begin?
9
9

what are you guys using for rust removal/paint prep?
Hi all, am thrashing on Jeep again... vehicle is mostly rust free (surprisingly, since it's from PA) but I've started ripping the old rear bumper and gas tank skid plate off so as to install a new...
11
11

Too many Wires! Help with new wall outlet
I am far from expert, but I can install a duplex wall outlet. In my 1970-era house there was a blank wall plate right where I would like a wall outlet. I took off the plate and found a bare copper...
80
80

House for sale, not enough drywall screws, what to do?
Went to a costumers home (about 35 years old) to estimate some work. Noticed that nearly all the ceiling drywall sags. A 5 foot straight edge across the ceiling drywall showed 3/4 gaps in many places....
28
28

Microwave from Sears / Kmart
My parents 35 year old Hardwick microwave finally quit. They did some research, and then went to Kmart, and bought one. Kmart is now part of the Sears family. Under a hundred dollars later, Mom and...
40
40

Stuuborn leak on new bath sink tailpiece
I replaced a friends bathroom sink tailpiece yesterday and I am having problems with a leak in the pipe with fine threads that goes into the main body of the tailpipe. It is part RP 6128 in the pic...
20
20

Nice to have a man around the house...
"Some guys feel really bad about the fact that they don't know how to hang crown molding." How a handy-man reacts to those men that aren't handy.
3
3

I need some suggestions on making a wooden shelf slidable
I have a 6 level wooden shelf system. I need to make one of the shelves slidable through addition of shelf on top of an existing shelf as shown here: This should be a smooth action back and forth. It...
3
3

(OT) Can Blue Ray disks be played on a DVD player
This is off topic, but I'm not sure wherre else to ask! Can Blue Ray disks be played on a standard DVD player? I've never owned a blue ray disk, or blue ray player, but if I was to get a Blue Ray...
8
8

Hauling With A Chain
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to so lid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have c hain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap...
31
31

Salt for melting snow
We use it here in the UK all the time. It is only effective on thin snow/ice and depends on wheeled traffic to pulverise and melt the snow. If you apply it on thick ice you will likely get large...
18
18

New electrical NEC code / 2014
New electrical code from the NEC. Beginning January 1, 2014, all outlets and switches will be required to have a 4x10 inch sign above them which states what the device is, (ex: OUTLET). The letters on...
7
7